Pierce Parashock... WW2???
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Pierce Parashock... WW2???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pierce Parashock... WW2???

I recently purchased a Pierce Parashock watch that I believe was used in combat during WW2. Name:  PIERCE.JPG
Views: 1103
Size:  84.0 KBName:  PIERCE2.JPG
Views: 1074
Size:  69.4 KB I'm not entirely sure of their age, and I don't know very much about the Pierce name. Any help appreciated!
    Emre, bubba48, cbt1989 and 1 others like this.

Re: Pierce Parashock... WW2???

Pierce is an under-rated brand which deserves more attention actually. They have developed several manufacture movements, most interestingly a linear automatic movement: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Pierce 861(AUT)

The ' Fab. Suisse ' mark on dial indicates it's manufactured after 1936 for the French market, it's from an era where center seconds was considered as complication, since most watches still had the seconds at subdials. The case looks chrome, back is steel, as for the WW II could be or not.Crown looks off/replaced to me, but I am not educated about the brand so don't know how it should look like though.

Overall it's an early considered era for water-proof cases and center seconds, definitely collectible.

Hi and Welcome
    Pierce was a very famous and good watch manufacturer.
    You could start here:
    SINCE 1883

More here:
    Google

I know them for their chronographs and unique early automatic.
    Your piece is an early patented waterproof style of case.
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; July 5th, 2014 at 23:20.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi!
    Nice Watch!
    About the name - mikrolisk -
    Pierce SA / Leon Levy &Freres Kleinuhren, Uhrenteile, Gehäuse, Uhrwerke; Biel, Genf und Moutier, Schweiz; New York, USA; registriert am 20.4.1931

Name:  289074d1274990403-pierce-chronographs-parashock.gif
Views: 1270
Size:  187.1 KB
    Can You show the movement?
    Cheers!
    Armian
    "Life is a path, Death a destination."

Very very nice.

This Parashock is a bit more modern than your

I thought that the crown looked unoriginal as well. I'll be sure to post pictures of the movement, and the new crown I'll put on it. The watchmaker I work under has alot of old stock parts, so he may just have one that'll fit and make the watch what it should have looked like 60 years ago.

Whatever you do - leave the dial as it is. It sports beautiful patina, even and not too intensive. If the radium on the indexes is still solid, I'd even leave that alone.

Same goes for the hands - they are quite typical for Pierce and, as far as I can see, in good shape.

The case is particularly interesting - Pierce was a pioneer of waterproofed cases. Waterproofing was by means of a lead gasket, evenly tightened by four or six screws.

Must be a wonderful experience to break down and maintain such an old watch under the supervision of an experienced watchmaker

Regards,
    Tomcat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bobbee and Sdasurrey like this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

It's nice to believe that it was used in combat but on balance and given it doesn't even have an engraved service number I would suggest that it's a leap of faith. Unless you have other evidence?

Quite possible that it was worn by a soldier. However, I doubt it was issued by the military.

As for Pierce, they're best known for their indigenous, well designed solutions to the question of potential patent infringements, most notably the introduction of the vertical chronograph clutch. The avoidance of the costly movements made by the Ebauches SA allowed Pierce to offer the first affordable chronographs of reasonable quality. In addition they took sponsoring one step further when they equipped the whole Italian bicycle team for the 1935 and 1936 (Olympics!) seasons with their chronographs. In turn, they sold them in boxes with the signatures of the drivers on them.

As for the quality of their movements, Pierce were among the first to ever have chronometer-certified a chronograph.

Best,
    Tomcat
    armian, Emre and bobbee like this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

I love the patina as well, that was what really drew me to the watch. However, I have yet to recieve the watch. It's still in transit to my house from the man I purchased it from. I'll be sure to break down the entire watch for you guys when it gets here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information