Pierce tripple date moon phase watch and first post
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Pierce tripple date moon phase watch and first post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pierce tripple date moon phase watch and first post

Hello everyone, first post!

I recently picked up a Pierce moon phase watch, and was hoping I could get a little help. I was under the impression that it was in running condition when I bought it on an auction site. It only runs face up for no more than an hour, and the day hand seems to have issues, as well as the manual moon phase button (doesn't return) and so far the seller has not offered a solution so I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I called a few places and they didn't offer much help either.

Here are a few pictures. Sorry about the quality :/

I guess my post count isn't high enough for links yet..

Anything is appreciated.

Re: Pierce tripple date moon phase watch and first post

face/dial imagesha.re/uploaded/YuJolqD
    movement imagesha.re/uploaded/dbkJ4Tf
    movement imagesha.re/uploaded/mJocYdG

I'm not sure what you expect us to be able to see in those photos. If the watch was advertised as properly operational, but it's basically not running, then there's no question you should just return it and cut your losses. Otherwise it could end up being a money pit.
    busmatt and ErreCi like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you love it and willing to invest in it, I’m sure you can find a watch maker that can get it going...

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra

The main issue I am having is that the only place that would even look at the watch is about a month and a half out, and I only have about a week to decide weather or not to keep it.

I guess I am really asking if anyone has any idea what is wrong, and if so what kind of expense I would be looking at, and recommendations for horologists, provided this doesn't cost more than it's worth. I would like to keep the watch or I would have just sent it back, which I may still do. It's an enjoyable piece, that I know absolutely nothing about. I included the pictures just to show what I was talking about, and to see if anyone said anything about the movement because it does not appear to be the cal 103 that most of these have, but again, I am no expert. I also noticed the symbol for "pi" under the balance wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by j317 View Post
    The main issue I am having is that the only place that would even look at the watch is about a month and a half out, and I only have about a week to decide weather or not to keep it.

I guess I am really asking if anyone has any idea what is wrong, and if so what kind of expense I would be looking at, and recommendations for horologists, provided this doesn't cost more than it's worth. I would like to keep the watch or I would have just sent it back, which I may still do. It's an enjoyable piece, that I know absolutely nothing about. I included the pictures just to show what I was talking about, and to see if anyone said anything about the movement because it does not appear to be the cal 103 that most of these have, but again, I am no expert. I also noticed the symbol for "pi" under the balance wheel.
    It is very hard to help you if you don't try to provide useful information for us. There is no way anyone can guess what is wrong, or guess the cost of repair, based on your description and photos. Moreover, without knowing more about the watch, we can't even begin to advise you whether the watch is worth repairing. You have provided virtually no information about the watch. I still don't even know the size of the case, whether it's SS or plated, etc. I also don't know whether you got a fantastic deal on the watch, or if you already paid top dollar.

Pierce made perfectly good watches, but it's not generally considered a top-tier brand. Nevertheless, if this is a really rare and special watch, with a jumbo case (e.g. 37mm) in solid stainless steel, and you got it for very little money, that would be an extremely different situation than if it were a 33mm watch in a chrome-plated case where you overpaid.

However, based on what you have told us, it sounds like there are potentially several different problems, and without the ability to have a watchmaker look at it, I really think you have little choice but to return it.
    ErreCi, kazrich and morningtundra like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by j317 View Post
    It only runs face up for no more than an hour, and the day hand seems to have issues, as well as the manual moon phase button (doesn't return)
    Sounds like the whole calendar&moon mechanism has issues, moreover the movement itself (time only), always based on your description only, sounds like it might be pretty dirty and it could be an even more expensive job with a problem to a jewel or a pivot. I'm sorry but this sounds rather expensive to me. Triple calendars and moonphase watches are, often, more expensive to service than a 2 register chronograph (at least here in IT). I cannot see the photos through the links you provided but, as Dan said, if it's not a jumbo stainless steel/18kt gold case with original dial and hands AND if you didn't pay big money for it, then it's probably not worth a restoration. I'd probably return the watch anyway (and I hope for you that was sold as fully funcional, while it's obviously not...).

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    It is very hard to help you if you don't try to provide useful information for us. There is no way anyone can guess what is wrong, or guess the cost of repair, based on your description and photos. Moreover, without knowing more about the watch, we can't even begin to advise you whether the watch is worth repairing. You have provided virtually no information about the watch. I still don't even know the size of the case, whether it's SS or plated, etc. I also don't know whether you got a fantastic deal on the watch, or if you already paid top dollar.

Pierce made perfectly good watches, but it's not generally considered a top-tier brand. Nevertheless, if this is a really rare and special watch, with a jumbo case (e.g. 37mm) in solid stainless steel, and you got it for very little money, that would be an extremely different situation than if it were a 33mm watch in a chrome-plated case where you overpaid.

However, based on what you have told us, it sounds like there are potentially several different problems, and without the ability to have a watchmaker look at it, I really think you have little choice but to return it.
    I hate to agree with you because it is a really nice watch. I paid 250 for it, and I have no idea weather or not that is good since the only other watch like it I have seen seems overpriced at almost 2k. It is a plated case, probably chrome. The width is 34mm including stem, the stem is 2.25mm so the face is 31-32 I would assume. So far it sound like a pretty basic moon phase, but for some reason I would like to keep it provided that I didn't pay 10x what it is worth, but that is starting to sound more and more like the case. I really don't know what kind of information to provide, sorry for the useless information. If there is anything I could tell you a picture I could send that would help, I would be more than willing to do it. I apologize for my ignorance of mechanical watches, or watches in general for that matter. I should probably send it back and cut my losses, but I can't put the damned thing down.

Quote Originally Posted by ErreCi View Post
    Sounds like the whole calendar&moon mechanism has issues, moreover the movement itself (time only), always based on your description only, sounds like it might be pretty dirty and it could be an even more expensive job with a problem to a jewel or a pivot. I'm sorry but this sounds rather expensive to me. Triple calendars and moonphase watches are, often, more expensive to service than a 2 register chronograph (at least here in IT). I cannot see the photos through the links you provided but, as Dan said, if it's not a jumbo stainless steel/18kt gold case with original dial and hands AND if you didn't pay big money for it, then it's probably not worth a restoration. I'd probably return the watch anyway (and I hope for you that was sold as fully funcional, while it's obviously not...).
    If the outside of the case was any indication of the inside, it probably has a bit of build up in there. Sorry about the links, I will try to get better pictures and repost them when I get home, any host suggestions? I used imgur in the past but it seems to be really resource hungry lately. The watch definitely doesn't meet most of that criteria. I paid around 250 and can't seem to find anyone that is able to give me a repair quote in less that 3-4 weeks. I was originally planning on having it plated, but the case cleaned up really well. I might reach out to the seller again and see if he would mind waiting while I get the a quote or two.

Servicing Moon phase watch is about US$300. Repair could cost more due to possible parts.
    Vintage Zodiac addict.

Quote Originally Posted by ErreCi View Post
    It only runs face up for no more than an hour, and the day hand seems to have issues, as well as the manual moon phase button (doesn't return)
    I Think the moon phase button just seems to be gummed up where it passes through the case. The lever the it contacts seems to operate almost perfectly (some stick, but returns on its own, just slow) I put a drop of silicone on a safety pin and worked it for about 2 phase rotations and it seems to run fine, as long as the button that comes through the case is popped back out. I am a little skeptical on pulling the movement myself to do a thorough cleaning. I also had it run for 11 hours (give or take it seems to be running a little fast) Another thing I am noticing is that it only stops before a day change. If you wind it until say 1201 on Tuesday morning it will run for 10 + hours usually. Seems like whatever engages that day chance, and the date hand might be where the problem is. I wouldn't think this has been serviced in at least 10 years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information