Plating my vintage Timex or buying a Marlin reissue?
Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By F_K
  • 3 Post By TheCowWatcher
  • 2 Post By Dan S
  • 4 Post By ManOnTime
  • 2 Post By F_K
  • 2 Post By yankeexpress
  • 3 Post By OhDark30
  • 1 Post By OhDark30

Thread: Plating my vintage Timex or buying a Marlin reissue?

F_K

Plating my vintage Timex or buying a Marlin reissue?

I have recently acquired a 60s Timex from fleaBay, serviced. I am more than satisfied with my purchase, save for two little details: its accuracy can be temperamental (in particular after winding it from completely dead), and the case is scratched and pitted. I am not as bothered about the accuracy as I am about the case. I do love the patina on the dial and hands, but I would rather have a pristine looking case - which brings me to my dilemma. I can have the case replated for about $45-65 and save this beautiful timepiece, or I can scoop up a Marlin reissue for roughly $150. What is your take?

Here is my lovely Timex

Name:  Img_180627104605801-1.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  403.1 KB
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Plating my vintage Timex or buying a Marlin reissue?

What did you pay for the one you have? Some say you shouldn't refurbish a vintage watch... It decreases value, probably not a issue here, just a guess on my part. Long Island Watch just got the reissue in stock again.. I would go with a new one, as I do not know the condition of the 40+yr old movement.

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

Leave it, buy new. I personally wouldn't buy a restored watch. Patina is what I pay for. New crystal and cleaned and oiled movement and i'm satisfied.
    busmatt, OhDark30 and yankeexpress like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

How do you know that it is recently serviced? Because the seller said so? Given that it's not running correctly, are you at all skeptical about the quality of the service it received?
    Slm643 and busmatt like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

From the view you've shown, the case doesn't look too bad. I wouldn't re-plate.

The re-issues are very nice, but (and as a vintage Timex collector this doesn't really bother me) the movement is not Timex. I'd keep this one as is, and buy the re-issue to have as well.
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
    I love deals on watches!

F_K

Quote Originally Posted by Slm643 View Post
    What did you pay for the one you have? Some say you shouldn't refurbish a vintage watch... It decreases value, probably not a issue here, just a guess on my part. Long Island Watch just got the reissue in stock again.. I would go with a new one, as I do not know the condition of the 40+yr old movement.

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    I paid $60 for it, so even with the replating it would come under the price of a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    How do you know that it is recently serviced? Because the seller said so? Given that it's not running correctly, are you at all skeptical about the quality of the service it received?
    The seller serviced it, he has a good reputation for selling serviced watches. But from what I've read these movements were hard to regulate.

Quote Originally Posted by ManOnTime View Post
    From the view you've shown, the case doesn't look too bad. I wouldn't re-plate.

The re-issues are very nice, but (and as a vintage Timex collector this doesn't really bother me) the movement is not Timex. I'd keep this one as is, and buy the re-issue to have as well.
    You hit the nail right in the head: the movement is exactly what has deterred me from buying a reissue. But taking into account the general consensus, I just might...
    ManOnTime and busmatt like this.

I don't see how you can really know about an eBay seller's reputation for servicing watches. eBay feedback is garbage and this seems like wishful thinking. I'm extremely skeptical that a seller truly serviced a $60 Timex. This just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe he dunked it in cleaning solution and dabbed some lubricant on so that it would run ok for a while, but we need to be logical about expecting to buy a serviced Timex watch.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Replating this vintage piece will ruin its vintage appeal and value. Leave it be and get the Marlin.

busmatt and Droyal like this.

Don’t get it plated!!
    I did on a Junghans 88 with brassed lugs, and massively regret it. The plated bits just don’t match the rest of the case, and this was done by a reputable firm here in Brum, where electroplating was first developed

I’m surprised you think that case needs work: it looks fine from here
    The odd ding and scratch are part of the charm of vintage for me, prompting me to think of the watch’s ‘life’ before it came into my hands
    Slm643, busmatt and ManOnTime like this.
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

And re the re-issue:

I had the choice between a 1967 Smiths W10, and the Timefactors Smiths Military PRS-29a re-issue

The PRS-29 is a great re-issue, matching the original well in case shape, handset, dial markings - but it’s *not* got the Smiths movement

Plus, the dial loses something in its fresh-painted perfection, compared with

If you want pristine looks, worry free, get the re-issue, partic if the movement doesn’t bother you
    Otherwise, enjoy your vintage (and find a real watch guy to give the ticking bits some TLC
    Slm643 likes this.
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

Thread Information