Please explain stupid to me
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Please explain stupid to me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please explain stupid to me

I was watching something on eBay… it's got a few days to go, but I guess I won't be bidding on it. Not for the first time, something's been bid up sky high before time and the news will only get worse on this one. It's around the price it should finish at now - it's a chronograph, with a movement that needs service, heavy wear on the plated case, dial is not great, not at all, plus all the usual nonsense.
    But I've never - not even on the first thing I ever bid on - understood why people get into bidding wars day out from completion. If fact, why even bid until the last moment? I don't get it.

Setting aside the obvious ones (????) of safety bids in case they forget (really????) and other such silliness (it seemed a straight estate sale job… but may be Shillandia?????). Why, oh why, oh why, do people make the things they are going to bid on more expensive? To no avail. Please tell me, oh great sages. I just don't get it. c***c - if you're reading this, you will not win this auction, my friend. Although you might be a shill, I guess. v***s probably is - heavy automatic bidding with heavy reserve, so the seller is effectively setting a reserve price and fuelling the fire. 1***s you probably laid an extra £100 on it and you'll be spending, my friend. And then the pain will begin in earnest.

I reckon it starts off with a couple of dealers, looking for a good score. They drop away as the price heads into unrealistic territory and some newbies take up the chase. This watch in better condition would be sold by a dealer on eBay for around £900-1200 and there's at least £200 worth of work to be done… it's nearly £800 now and time to walk away.

Sigh.

Here's what the bidding looks like:
    Last edited by Bradjhomes; February 12th, 2016 at 15:56. Reason: Content restored

Re: Please explain stupid to me

Self explanatory
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

stu·pid

/ˈst(y)o͞opəd/

noun

1.a stupid person (often used as a term of address)"you're not a coward, stupid!"

adjective

1.lacking intelligence or common sense"I was stupid enough to think she was perfect"synonyms:unintelligent,.ignorant,.dense,fo olish,.dull-witted,.....more

Powered by.Oxford Dictionaries
    busmatt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Acchh. Well this was a longer post about stupid bidding on eBay. Then I posted it and the often quirky web design here rendered the example I posted into some gibberish. I lost the will to post. Simple question was: why do people bid furiously on eBay items days away from completion? They're only making things more expensive for themselves. Let's pretend for a moment that not every auction has its share of shill bidders, that would be cynical… wouldn't it?
    busmatt likes this.

To quote Forrest Gump... "stupid is as stupid does"..
    busmatt likes this.

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Stupid? Pics speak louder than words.
    A first time home repairman tries his skills to a Speedy.

Name:  P2120018.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  135.6 KB

Name:  P2120019.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  107.5 KB
    busmatt and Addictedtowatches like this.

other than taking over Oregon and then surrendering faster than France?

I regularly sell things online and on eBay for my small business, one of which is XPS foam

The listings are for bulky goods and in three places I have, one in large red letters, "Contact me for a quote on freight before buying"

At least once a week I will have someone ask me "how much is it to ship?"

Now, I was pretty good at school and uni, but it was a while ago, but I just completely failed at "Mind Reading 101"
    Never could get the hang of it

"So how much do you want and where do you want it shipped too?" in polite language is now a posted note on my computer desktop that I can regularly and quickly copy & paste into a reply to these ones.

Next most common is people who just order it and then are shocked that the freight was more than they thought - "but it's so light, why does it cost so much?" Another polite explanation that a full truck is a full truck gets sent at least once a week.

The all-time classic was a guy who ordered a whole bunch of foam to be sent to a rural area. He was a bit taken aback at the cost and then asked if I could cut the foam to make it smaller....

A polite explanation that length times width time height times quantity equaled total volume shipped,was always going to be the same was sent to him

At first I thought it was me, but after some time with eBay customer assist, and several years down the track, I came to the conclusion that some folks just do dumb things, often through ignorance or frequently through laziness
    bobbee, busmatt and Shum like this.
    Time is an Illusion - Lunctime doubly so

It's best not to think about that because it'll drive you crazy yourself. I sell and auction vintage watches myself, two of the "questions" that made me scratch my head:

1. The watch is not running and I can't see where I need to place the battery...of course it was a mechanical handwinder.
    2. One lady told me she dropped the watch (almost 2 months after I sent it to her) and she was very disappointed to see that the glass was plastic. I told her that's very common with vintage watches and if she didn't know what she was buying, maybe she shouldn't.

Also I had some dispute about an Omega Geneve, actually one of the nicest ones I've ever seen so I was very surprised and curious what the problem was. After a week he told me everything was fine. They told him in an Omega boutique that you should wind it more than 5 times or else it would stop running very quickly.

People just do stuff without thinking about it, better to just accept that ;)
    busmatt, Horological_Dino and Shum like this.
    -The days of the digital watch are numbered.

Unless I'm impulse buying at the last minute of an ebay auction, lol, I will usually put my max bid on an item whenever I see the auction, regardless if it's 1 day or 6 days away. Sometimes I'll play with the new $1 increment "place bid" button until I reach the point to stop. Lol To some, this may look like eratic bidding, but it just keeps raising the limits of the max bidder until you stop or pass the others max bid.
    Last edited by bsshog40; February 12th, 2016 at 10:50.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information