Please help with 1800's M.I.Tobias & Co Pocket Watch (Detailed pictures!)

Thread: Please help with 1800's M.I.Tobias & Co Pocket Watch (Detailed pictures!)

Please help with 1800's M.I.Tobias & Co Pocket Watch (Detailed pictures!)

Hello,

Glad to be here! I come to you seeking aid in determining what it is that I've got. I'm not new to antique items, have a passion for history, however, my knowledge concerning watches is close to nonexistent.

I am interesting in any information about relative value, quality, condition, age and history that could be deduced from it. I'm providing detailed pictures but if anything in particular needs to be photographed, I can do it. To me, this watch appears to be from around 1820's to 1830's, but I would like to hear opinion of the experts and enthusiasts that post here. In my experience, I find it best to refer to true enthusiasts with a passion for the subject, that is often found on online forums, rather than "professionals" in real life.

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Please help with 1800's M.I.Tobias & Co Pocket Watch (Detailed pictures!)

Hi there,

the movement is a typical standard ebauche in reasonable quality, made by many
    manufactueres in West Switzerland and France between 1850 and 1890. Many Engish
    companies used Swiss movements for their cheaper watches, but I'm not sure whether
    it isn't a so called Swiss fake, due to the missing British hallmarks.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Re: Please help with 1800's M.I.Tobias & Co Pocket Watch (Detailed pictures!)

nice case and dial.... beautiful. Yes, the movement looks "generic". most of the intere$t, I would guess, is in the case and dial

Thread Information