Please help - is this Girrard Perregaux real?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Please help - is this Girrard Perregaux real?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help - is this Girrard Perregaux real?

HI All,

I'm new to the watch world, and have seen this GP for sale. Please can you help a novice work out if it's original?

Girard Perregaux Alarm Watch for $1,345 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

Thanks so much!
    Ryan

Re: Please help - is this Girrard Perregaux real?

Hi,

Dial is redone, seller says it's very nicely done but I personally get a self blinking eye from such art :D
    Chaos is my focus

If it has mass and volume - I think that it is safe to say that is "real".

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    If it has mass and volume - I think that it is safe to say that is "real".
    I believe that we all know what "real" means here, and especially in the context of watches, so perhaps it would be good to answer the OP's question?
    GP used the AS 1475:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Girard-Perregaux 11 (AS 1475)
    Is the watch genuine apart from being a redial? It might be, however an AS 1475 movement is not really that hard to find, and to fake the GP signatures is nothing challenging. Keep in mind, that GP are quite often faked due to their generic movements. Get a case without engravings and an unsigned Peseux movement, have them engraved with the GP stuff, add a dial that fits the case and movement, and paint "Girard-Perregaux" on it. And there you go- you've just got yourself a GP. Such fakes are quite often seen on eBay. Where there is a repainted dial on a GP, some more things entirely wrong might be there as well. Anyway, it's not really necessary to go into details- the fact that a redial is being sold for over 1300 bucks is ridiculous enough to convince me that it's better to walk away from this one. Whether the rest of the bits is original or not doesn't matter anymore. In my opinion at least.
    Last edited by mkws; August 21st, 2015 at 02:39.
    Marko.lachapelle and pronstar like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Terrible redial,terrible price,terrible first step into the vintage world,
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

Girand???? Can't believe.....

Name:  girand.png
Views: 122
Size:  215.5 KB
    Last edited by saxoo; August 20th, 2015 at 19:05.
    Horological_Dino likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Even a newbie should see/identify the wrong printing on the dial. "Ginand" does not match the description "The dial may have been redone at some point....." Stay away from watch and seller.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll safely give this one a miss. Any recommendations on where a reputable online space is to buy vintage watches? I presume these forums are a good place to start?

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    I believe that we all know what "real" means here, and especially in the context of watches, so perhaps it would be good to answer the OP's question? . . . .
    I certainly can't be included in your "we".

There exist only a few states of condition that can be described without appreciable ambiguity and hence with some degree of universality.

One is: "original as to the date of manufacture". This means just what it implies. No components have been changed or altered since manufacture.

Beyond that - there are vast oceans of difference in interpretation of condition and state as you move from circle to circle - lacking any true concensus.

And each subsequent state requires incontrovertible proof or it's just opinion that may either reflect a great deal of experience and knowledge and judgement or may not.

I suspect that some fairly honest watches - particularly those with a great deal of wear or possible original defective component manufacture - have been impuned in various venues when reviewed in conditions subsequent to "original as to the date of manufacture".
    saxoo and Shum like this.

Looks like you didn't get it, pithy- the OP asked if the watch is genuine or not. Real, genuine, original, one dog- the meaning of the question was clear enough. And instead of providing a rather obnoxious example of picking holes in someone's vocabulary, perhaps something more constructive than semantics-related claptrap would be in order? If I remember correctly, it was about a watch, not semantics.
    That's what I wanted to point out. No need to bloviate about ambiguities and universalities- it's incontrovertibly otiose. And as dull as ditchwater.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information