Please help...I need to identify a vintage Rolex...

Thread: Please help...I need to identify a vintage Rolex...

Please help...I need to identify a vintage Rolex...

I am brand new to this site so please excuse the ignorance. I have, what I am calling, a Vintage Rolex. It is a very small Ladies 14K gold watch, with a square face and a mesh band. Rolex is on the face just below the crown at 12, Swiss is just below the 6 line and it does not have a second hand. It still keeps time and is a lovely piece. It has the rolex crown on the winding dial, as well as near the safety clasp. I do not have any paperwork or serial number and really don't know anything about the watch. I have never seen anything like it until tonight on SassyClassics where they had a couple watches with similar bands and faces. Please help???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Lydia Holland; December 21st, 2010 at 17:54. Reason: adding pictures

Re: Please help...I need to identify a vintage Rolex...

we need pictures.

Not quite sure what the problem is but I my uploads are failing???

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ok pics added...sorry!

Hi -

First of all, welcome to the forum! I hope we can help you here.

Second: there is a Rolex forum here that will probably give you more information about this watch than probably the folks here, as this is for the general vintage watches, not any specific brand.

What I can tell you is that women's watches tend to be significantly less well known then men's watches, largely because there are often many variants made to meet fashion demands.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Hi, Lydia. Welcome to WUS. I believe what you have there is a Rolex calibre 1400 similar to this:

Rolex Ladies Vintage 14K Gold #3457 1400mov Watch 18j - eBay (item 120662911413 end time Jan-20-11 07:25:13 PST)

Please note I have no affiliation with this auction and am linking for purely informational purposes.

At 13.75 mm, the 1400 is the smallest calibre ever produced by Rolex and was produced in both 17j and 18j. It's not considered a particularly accurate movement, but is relatively robust and one of the few Rolex calibres with incabloc (shock protection). Rolex no longer produces the 1400, but you can still obtain parts and get it serviced. Other details about this movement: rhodium-plated, straight line lever escapement, monometallic balance, self-compensating free-sprung Breguet balance spring, and Microstella regulating screws.

I think your watch might date to the 50s/60s, but I don't have enough expertise in watch styles to say for anything close to certain. No doubt the gentlemen here can guide you on that better than I.

My 1400 says "hi."

Name:  11967.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  34.2 KB

Jeannie

Thanks to both of you for the information...every bit helps. I will post under the Rolex Brand as well to see what information I can learn there. Thanks againa nd Merry Christmas!

This is the type of womens watch that crosses into the jewelery niche and still has popularity. The cocktail watchs aren't very popular, but integrated gold bands are, I think because they are more a piece of jewelery than watch. My wife has a friend that will wear a nonfuntioning watch, as a piece of jewelery, it drives me nuts.

Yes...when I wore it many years ago (like 20) I used to turn it over and wear the clasp on the top of my wrist where it looked like just a band. It actually still works (not quite sure how good of time it keeps though)!

Thread Information