Please help ID GP vintage pocket watch

Thread: Please help ID GP vintage pocket watch

Please help ID GP vintage pocket watch

Hi,

Can you please help me ID this vintage piece?

Re: Please help ID GP vintage pocket watch

Hi -

Fairly modern, not in Shugart. 17 jewel, unadjusted, and based on dial type, patina and design: probably 1930s. Might be later, though: I'm not an expert...

Cool movement: all those right angles! That's what inclines me to the 1930s: that's the sort of thing I'd expect. Seems to be missing two screws!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

The 20s and 30s are two of my favourite periods in history. And this is one of the reasons why! That watch looks gorgeous!

Once it's been serviced, this watch would look and run like new! A marvellous ticker. Where did you find it, Mooster?

John, would the missing screws necessarily be a bad thing? This watch looks like it has plenty of other screws to hold it together. My pocket watch is missing a screw, and my watchmaker told me not to worry about it as there were plenty of others in there to keep everything from falling apart.
    Last edited by Shangas; April 19th, 2009 at 23:40.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the information. I couldn't find any information on this one anywhere. I appreciate your help.

Shangas, I picked this one up off the bay. I'll be getting it serviced soon but overall the watch runs great. The movement is so clean I can't imagine this to be from the 30's.

John, I'm curious to know also whether those missing screws will be a problem.

If they're just securing screws, to hold down the top-plate, then I don't think their loss will be very much felt, as was the case with my watch. My watchmaker told me not to worry about it.

BUT, if they're screws which hold down cogwheels and arbors etc...which I doubt, since you say the watch is running fine, then I would have them replaced ASAP.

As it is, I don't think their loss is a great problem.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Hi -

If the screws hold anything together, like you've said, then it's a bad thing. But without better pictures or actually having the watch in my sweaty little hands, hard to tell.

If anything, the look like something along the lines of a screw attachment to hold the face in place. Like I said, hard to tell...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Here's a thread about one that's very similar - at least the movement is identical. It points to the watch being from the thirties or forties:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...70053#poststop

Hartmut Richter

Thnx gentlemen. I'll be bringing the watch to a watchmaker some time this week to have it checked out and cleaned.

Excellent. Hartmut thanks for the link.

Thread Information