Please help ID mystery ladies watch?

Thread: Please help ID mystery ladies watch?

Please help ID mystery ladies watch?

Hello All,

I just found this wonderful site, and I'm hoping that someone much more knowledgeable than I can help me with my problem. I have a ladies vintage (I believe) bangle/bracelet/clamper style wrist watch that I am trying to identify. I hate to have to remove the back for fear of doing damage. The front of the watch has a hinged cover. The face is the issue. I can make out the letters 'va' in the name, and a line beneath that, and the word, 'rubis' beneath the line. The back says, 'gold filled', and '20 microns'. There are other notations, but they are hard to decipher because they seem to be more on the surface, and the 'gold' around the lettering is flaking off. There also appears to be, what I would describe as, a little miniature castle with the letter 'G' inside. I have attached a picture of the front of the watch, in the hopes that that might be of some help to you. I appreciate and thank you so much, for any information that anyone may be able to provide.

Sincerely,

BB1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Please help ID mystery ladies watch?

Welcome to the Vintage Forum. Your watch is definitely a ladies' watch from the 1950s or 1960s and should have an elongated movement of sorts (something like the FHF Cal. 59). The name is rather difficult but might just be "Nivada", one of the more renowned makers (once located in Grenchen, now defunct). The "Rubis" indicates the jewel count and that should be 17 (industrial rubies in the movement - the more, the better up to a certain degree, after that it gets silly; the standard count for this is 17).

I am afraid that these watches are pretty near worthless over and above material value since noone collects them (not even the ladies, these days). However, that does not mean to say that it is rubbish - on the contrary! If someone in your family would wear it, it would be worth getting serviced. It certainly makes a nice family heirloom.

Hartmut Richter

Thank you so much for your reply and your information. It's a little sad to know that it's pretty much worthless, other than if someone just happens to like it. But that's okay, at least my mystery is solved! I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

BB1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If it is a Nivada, you would probably get confirmation by opening it up and looking at the movement. The case back should come off complete with crown and movement when you pry it off (carefully, using a sharp knife, by inserting it in the notch running along the edge), after that, you edge out the movement from the case back and you should be able to identify it then. Of get a decent watchmaker to do it.

Hartmut Richter

I am too much of a wuss to open the back. I think I did it once and, just as you described, the whole thing came out, which I wasn't expecting. So I carefully put it back in, put the cover back on, and left well enough alone! :) Unfortunately, the closest good jeweler is about 35+ miles from me. Not just a quick trip, like getting milk and donuts! ;). But, thank you again for your helpful knowledge.

BB1

Well, the whole thing is supposed to come out (at least in such ladies watches). After that, you just have to get the movement out of the case back.

Hartmut Richter

Wink Re: Please help ID mystery ladies watch?

I think that I will just leave it alone and in one piece, rather than risk doing any damage to it. I get nervous when the whole kit and kaboodle comes right out in my hand! Thank you.

Thread Information