Please Help to Identify my old Pocket Watch

Thread: Please Help to Identify my old Pocket Watch

Cool Please Help to Identify my old Pocket Watch

I would appreciate any help in identifying the maker of this old pocket watch. On the inside it reads “Freres Bergeon” and “Ancre 15 Rubis”, which I assume translates to Bergeon Brothers and 15 jewels.

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Please Help to Identify my old Pocket Watch

Interesting bridge design. I have not seen anything like it before. It's definitely not the generic Swiss bridging you normally see. I would guess it to be a watch from the middle 1800s but I hope others will know more.

Modern day Bergeon is one of the suppliers of fine watch repair tools and instruments. Possibly this was an early branch of the family's activities.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

That is indeed unusual.

A Google search freres bergeon - Google Search result gives this snippet from a book:

Bergeon frères qui, depuis son origine (1837), travaille presque exclusivement pour le marché italien, avait exposé à Zurich un assortiment représentant les diverses qualités de sa fabrication : horlogerie supérieure, comprenant les ...

So founded in 1837 and supplying the Italian market.

This is from Need help identifing,...Rare railroad watch? [Archive] - National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Message Board "According to Kathleen Pritchard's "Swiss Timepiece Makers", Francois Bergeon and Fritz Henri Bergeon were brothers who may have founded Bergeon Freres--whose trademark claims they were founded in 1837."

And page 73 here; Les systèmes productifs dans l'arc ... - Google Books

Mis a part les freres Bergeon, on n'observe aucune ancienne famille parmi les depositaires de brevets.Google translates:Apart from the brothers Bergeon, there is no family among the former patent depository.

Maybe someone else will know more about them.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The base watch itself looks to be a fairly common 3/4 plate jeweled lever, common to between 1870 and 1900. Good quality, but unless there's a makers mark or serial somewhere (possibly under the dial) that's likely as much information as you'll get; the Swiss watch industry of the day was geared to making watches that <didn't> have any identifying features, so that they could be customized to any given target market.

The bridge design was probably not original to the watch; that kind of stuff wasn't that common in the late 1800's, and the design looks a little rough in place (the oval beside the winding stem in particular). It wasn't uncommon for jewelers/watchmakers to have their apprentices do this kind of thing when business was slow, especially on older pieces that would be harder to sell.

As for the name, while Bergeron immediately conjures up the famous swiss tool company, the fact is that Bergeron isn't an uncommon swiss surname. Dial names usually referenced the seller's establishment (often jewelery stores).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thank you all for the information. It seems to me I have a nice piece, but may never know a great deal about it.

Thread Information