Please Help Identify My Watch (with pics)

Thread: Please Help Identify My Watch (with pics)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please Help Identify My Watch (with pics)

Hello,

I have a pocket watch that has been passed down to me. I know almost nothing about its origin.

It appears to be gold plated.
    It is stamped "Made in USA" inside the back cover.
    The movement is stamped "Swiss" and also has the name "Depose Le Risoud" etched with little trees.
    It has a chime lever on the side.
    The face looks porcelain to me.
    It does not have a front cover.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Links is case the pics won't load.
    http://www.mac128k.com/images/DSC00564.jpg
    http://www.mac128k.com/images/DSC00558.jpg
    http://www.mac128k.com/images/DSC00565.jpg
    http://www.mac128k.com/images/DSC00563.jpg
    http://www.mac128k.com/images/DSC00566.jpg

Re: Please Help Identify My Watch (with pics)

Thanks for posting. The case is likely made in the USA. The movement is Swiss obviously, I'm guessing 1900-1910 based on the dial and hands. It's a repeater watch and I haven't seen too many of them.
    Le Risoud is a pine forest in the Vallee de Joux Switzerland but I don't know the brand otherwise.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The watch lacks the characteristic large pusher of repeater watches. It does have a small lever at the side - I would guess that it is a sonnerie rather than a repeater watch. Otherwise, I can only back up Ray's assessment.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info, guys.

I'm not sure I know the difference between repeater and sonnerie. I assume one chimes automatically based on the time and the other chimes manually?

In order to best preserve the watch for future generations, is it advisable to have it cleaned? If so is there a certification a person should have that I can look for to reduce the chance they would damage the watch? It works fine as it is today but it has a small amount of oxidation.

Well again I'm no expert but I think with a repeater you have to activate the chime by pushing a button. A sonnerie chimes automatically like a clock if you switch it on with the lever. Hartmut can correct me if I'm wrong.
    Your watch needs to go to a good watchmaker to be serviced. You should not run it for any length of time if you don't know the last time it was cleaned and lubricated. It may run OK but it'll wear out its working parts in no time if it's not serviced every 5 to 10 years.
    In North America if a watchmaker belongs to the NAWCC it's a good sign. That is the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. However there are probably good watchmkers in your area if you do some research.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quite correct! A sonnerie will only chime the hours (petite sonnerie) or the hour and quarter hours (grande sonnerie) and only if set to do so (push a small lever sideways to activate). A repeater will chime the time whenever you activate the mechanism manually by pulling down a fat lever a fairly longish way. It will indicate the time elapsed so far down to the nearest quarter hour (quarter repeater), the nearest 7.5 minutes (eighth repeater) the nearest five minutes (five minute repeater) or the nearest minute (minute repeater). Quarter repeaters down to five-minute repeaters can do that on only one bell (the thin, curved piece of metal going round the movement acts as the "bell") whereas minute repeaters need at least two. Usually, more are used. A repeater or sonnerie with more than three bells is said to have a "carillon" mechanism, some restrict this to the ability to actually play some sort of tune (e.g. Westminster chime) during the indication of time.

Hartmut Richter

Hi Mac128k,

ist definitely a repeater. At 8h a shift lever is visible, and when shifting it up,
    the watch should chime the present time as Hartmut described.
    Moreover a selfstriking watch would have a much bigger barrel for the sonnerie.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Quarter repeaters down to five-minute repeaters can do that on only one bell (the thin, curved piece of metal going round the movement acts as the "bell") whereas minute repeaters need at least two. Usually, more are used.
    Hartmut Richter
    How would a quarter repeater repeat on one gong only? I always thought two gongs are required. tangs for the hours and ting-tangs for the quarters. Is there any other system?

Kind regards

Aditya

Oh yes! "Dings" for the hours and "di-dings" for the quarters. That system can be used all the way down to five-minute intervals. Only for minute repeaters do you need two bells: "dongs" for the hours, "dong-dings" for the quarters and "dings" for the remaining minutes. You usually do better with more bells, though.....

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Oh yes! "Dings" for the hours and "di-dings" for the quarters. That system can be used all the way down to five-minute intervals. Only for minute repeaters do you need two bells: "dongs" for the hours, "dong-dings" for the quarters and "dings" for the remaining minutes. You usually do better with more bells, though.....

Hartmut Richter
    Thank you for explaining Hartmut, appreciate it :thanks

However, I am ashamed to say that I still do not understand . Is the 'di' in the 'di-ding' struck on the same gong as the 'ding'? how is this done? is it a double (or 1-1/2) strike on the same gong?

Kind regards
    Aditya

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information