please help identify small pocket watch

Thread: please help identify small pocket watch

please help identify small pocket watch

this is a small pocket watch that my mother gave me to try to identify for her, and ive hit a roadblock! it is (i believe) a silver case, with a front and back protective case that opens. it's a simple, small pocket watch with no brand name on it. the only identification on it is on the cover that is exposed when the movement is opened. at 12 o'clock there is the word "swiss". at 3 o'clock there is an image that looks like some sort of bird, possibly a peacock, i dont know if that is a clue. at 6 o'clock is a serial number (167480) and a marking that says G-S in a box. at 9 o'clock is 0,800. Im hoping this will help solve this mystery! please let me know

Name:  IMG_7596.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7598.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  136.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7599.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  166.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7600.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  194.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7601.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  132.1 KB

Re: please help identify small pocket watch

It is a silver cased ladies Swiss watch. But you already knew that.

The design of the movement is relatively generic. These were made by in common designs by what we might call today collectives, not a single corporate entity. Usually identifying a 'maker' is not possible.

They are not especially valuable except to the owner when they have a historical family connection to the piece. The dial and hands look original and overall the piece looks to be in good condition. It would look beautiful serviced and polished.

Others who know more will correct or expand my remarks, I hope.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I don't have much to add for this silver cased cylinder escapement beyond what Eeeb has said. Aimed at the Continental European market would be my guess, though this is somewhat contradicted by the 'Slow Fast' marking on the balance cock. Appears to be lever set which is relatively unusual and the movement is nicely decorated, though it appears to be missing the screw which holds down the ratchet wheel. There may be a makers mark under one of the bridges or under the dial.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

to my untrained eye it looks like a cylinder
    regards enrico

Thread Information