Size:  1.3 KB
    Name:  $(KGrHqV,!jkE4oCK!9M7BORZNqHfRQ~~0_14.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  1.3 KB
    Name:  $(KGrHqUOKp!E4jMOrEzcBOR,guJ71g~~0_14.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  1.2 KB

Flickr Uploads: http://www.flickr.com/photos/6631258...in/photostream

I know my Grandfather bought this watch while in Switzerland, by what he said to me, but I can't seem to place the model, nor year, and I do not want to open the watch because I am not an expert of any kind when it comes to watches. From visiting a vintage watch site it looks like Longines took the Wellington, Upton, and Barclay and through them into a mixing bowl and out popped this watch. Anyone with any insight would be extremely helpful.

Thank You

Gary

Re: Please Help Identify Vintage Longines Watch

It looks like a normal Longines from the 40's to 60's. They often did not name models. Unfortunately most of the information of use is under the caseback. Nice piece. It should be serviced before use -- the dirt just grinds the pivots and makes the watch way too expensive to fix.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Washington, District of Columbia, United States

It works, I keep it wound every day.

Thanks for giving me a little info about it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

It's good to know that it works because it means that it hasn't got any major flaws.

With regards servicing there are two main views on this. One suggests that servicing is expensive and so not worth doing until the watch stops or doesn't keep time and then the watchmaker can fix whatever might have been done.

The other view is that servicing is necessary, just like you wouldn't run a car without changing the oil every now and again.

Generally the first view is held by the owners of watches like Rolex where there is a very good supply of parts and the always expensive service includes all parts that might be needed.

The second view is held by the owners of watches where parts are hard to come by and a worn pivot might be either very expensive to have repaired or mean the watch ends up in the parts bin.

Unless you know the service history of your watch, running it is like buying a new car and not opening the hood. It might be OK, or then again it might have run out of oil or the cam belt might be about to snap, either one of which could result in a repair costing more than the car is worth.

Thread Information