Please help identify Vintage Ulysse Nardin - Page 2
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Please help identify Vintage Ulysse Nardin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Please help identify Vintage Ulysse Nardin

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Why not?! I am no watch god and, although I am right on many (most?!) occasions, I am not right on all occasions. And I don't take objective criticism personally. Please dare to contradict me if you have better information - it gives me a chance to learn.

Hartmut Richter
    It's very nice of you to say so, but I am a beginner, with a little knowledge of deck watches and chronometers and a fledgling interest in that very treacherous field, affordable old Ulysse Nardin wristwatches. And I still cannot remember the name of the casemaker in Le Locle whose surname was also Nardin and who used the bird over sunburst mark.

There has to be some sort of logic to UN serial numbers. They surely cannot have made half a million wristwatches by the mid 1950s! I suspect that the first three numbers have another meaning. Could it be that "1xx" was for chronometers and deck watches with in house ebauches, "2xx" were wrist watches made and cased in Le Locle and "5xx" were wristwatches exported uncased? Here we have 234053, and jolly nice it is, but I have 5008928 which is only a few years younger and in an American case. Incidentally I think the little gilt anchor, absent from this watch, was applied after the signature was printed on the dial.

There has to be some sort of logic to UN serial numbers.
    I've seen some illogical things with serial numbers :) I have a 1950s Solvil with a SN of about 11xxx, while Solvil wristwaches from the 1940s were around 20000-30000 and their pre-war pocket and wrist watches between 400000 and 800000...

But back to UN, I've found three other similar examples here, here and here, with same ébauche and similar SN, and they all are typical 1930s style...
    Methersgate likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 707mm2 View Post
    I've seen some illogical things with serial numbers :) I have a 1950s Solvil with a SN of about 11xxx, while Solvil wristwaches from the 1940s were around 20000-30000 and their pre-war pocket and wrist watches between 400000 and 800000...

But back to UN, I've found three other similar examples here, here and here, with same ébauche and similar SN, and they all are typical 1930s style...
    Case closed! And the OP can follow your links to estimate his valuation. UN are very helpful in dating their deck watches and chronometers from the serial number but I don't know if they would do the same for a wristwatch. They might.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information