Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve - Page 3
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    Yes take that screw out then look under the pendulum if there is a screw missing there.

I repair and sell old vintage quartz watches as a hobby so now mechanical watch movements look huge to me.
    Ah, Under the pendulum thank you. I guess all in the eye of the beholder too eh? I'm 21 and have never actually seen any vintages watches until recently. I used to make fun of my father's "tiny" Bulova but now I realize most watches today are... large.

I've contacted some watch repair places in Ottawa to see what can be done. I happened to get in to this during exams as well... why must I have some weird love for watches?
    Newly found out Chronometrophile.

Quote Originally Posted by WingoWinston View Post
    Ah, Under the pendulum thank you. I guess all in the eye of the beholder too eh? I'm 21 and have never actually seen any vintages watches until recently. I used to make fun of my father's "tiny" Bulova but now I realize most watches today are... large.

I've contacted some watch repair places in Ottawa to see what can be done. I happened to get in to this during exams as well... why must I have some weird love for watches?
    The vintage bug is strange and I can't look at new watches without feeling disgusted and amazed about why anyone would want one. Vintage Longines watches is the brand I have fallen in love with but as I'm a cheapskate I only buy wrecks.
    Last edited by Shum; December 19th, 2013 at 03:05.

The vintage bug is strange and I can't look at new watches without feeling disgusted and amazed about why anyone would want one. Vintage Longines watches is the brand I have fallen in love with but as I'm a cheapskate I only buy wrecks.
    Rather than call yourself a cheapskate I'd say you have gumption. You know how to repair.

I still like some of the new larger watches I have. Although there are the "ridiculously" over-sized ones which are somehow the in thing, at least for people who are looking for "wrist swag" (I mean we "all" are looking for a great watch but with some taste and character).

Exhibit A:

Name:  198136d1246554061-when-watch-too-big-your-wrist-imgp1092.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  47.4 KB

Not my own. But the crown is as wide as one of his fingers. I've seen bigger than this too.

Also, I can not find anywhere under the pendulum where the screw might go. Once again, very much a novice when it comes to these things. Is it possible it may have been the screw for something else and just been lodged in there forever? I mean the bumpers had to disappear somewhere too haha. Although he seemed quite sure it was a "case screw".

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Horrible...LOL

The screw looks to short to be for the bumper spring assembly so who know where it comes from.

I have found that square watches look a little bigger on the wrist so you can take a look at some of them and also watches from the 70's. In the 70's watches started to get fanzy and there was a period there analog digital watches were populare and some of them are huge.

Buler jump hour watch | The Retro WorldThe Retro World

Jump hour watchers are very collectable and prices are going up all the time.

I alway forget the Like button but of course i love you old Universal.
    Last edited by Shum; December 19th, 2013 at 03:09.

Where abouts in ottawa are you? There's a very good watchmaker on St. Laurent (I met him in the local NAWCC chapter), but I'm not sure how expensive he is. There's a shop in Kanata that I go to for straps and crystals, but since I work on my own watches I can't tell you how good he is.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Horrible...LOL

The screw looks to short to be for the bumper spring assembly so who know where it comes from.

I have found that square watches look a little bigger on the wrist so you can take a look at some of them and also watches from the 70's. In the 70's watches started to get fanzy and there was a period there analog digital watches were populare and some of them are huge.

Buler jump hour watch | The Retro WorldThe Retro World

Jump hour watchers are very collectable and prices are going up all the time.
    Hopefully a skilled watch repair man will know then.

That watch... is funny. I do not think I appreciate it very much. I've never been a fan of the square or rectangle watches. I however love old electronics. For the sake of collectible value I may consider purchasing one though.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Where abouts in ottawa are you? There's a very good watchmaker on St. Laurent (I met him in the local NAWCC chapter), but I'm not sure how expensive he is. There's a shop in Kanata that I go to for straps and crystals, but since I work on my own watches I can't tell you how good he is.
    I live in the Glebe. I could bus there easily I'm sure. Do you have an address, name?

Hopefully a skilled watch repair man will know then.

That watch... is funny. I do not think I appreciate it very much. I've never been a fan of the square or rectangle watches. I however love old electronics. For the sake of collectible value I may consider purchasing one though.
    That's the thing these jump hour watches were all mechanical and was a way to try to stem the quartz watch revolution. I just love em and especially Sicura watches as these really captured the 70's style.

Name:  P8174477.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  130.5 KB
    Just look at this beauty i got my grubby hands on.
    Last edited by Shum; December 19th, 2013 at 03:29.

That's the thing these jump hour watches were all mechanical and was a way to try to stem the quartz watch revolution. I just love em and especially Sicura watches as these really captured the 70's style.

Name:  P8174477.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  130.5 KB
    Just look at this beauty i got my grubby hands on.
    It looks like an old voltmeter haha

It looks like an old voltmeter haha
    hehe...

Guess we know where they got the design then...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information