Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve - Page 3
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36
  1. #21
    Member WingoWinston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    39

    Re: Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve

    Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    Yes take that screw out then look under the pendulum if there is a screw missing there.

    I repair and sell old vintage quartz watches as a hobby so now mechanical watch movements look huge to me.
    Ah, Under the pendulum thank you. I guess all in the eye of the beholder too eh? I'm 21 and have never actually seen any vintages watches until recently. I used to make fun of my father's "tiny" Bulova but now I realize most watches today are... large.

    I've contacted some watch repair places in Ottawa to see what can be done. I happened to get in to this during exams as well... why must I have some weird love for watches?
    Newly found out Chronometrophile.

  2. #22
    Member Shum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,579

    Re: Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve

    Quote Originally Posted by WingoWinston View Post
    Ah, Under the pendulum thank you. I guess all in the eye of the beholder too eh? I'm 21 and have never actually seen any vintages watches until recently. I used to make fun of my father's "tiny" Bulova but now I realize most watches today are... large.

    I've contacted some watch repair places in Ottawa to see what can be done. I happened to get in to this during exams as well... why must I have some weird love for watches?
    The vintage bug is strange and I can't look at new watches without feeling disgusted and amazed about why anyone would want one. Vintage Longines watches is the brand I have fallen in love with but as I'm a cheapskate I only buy wrecks.
    Last edited by Shum; December 19th, 2013 at 03:05.

  3. #23
    Member WingoWinston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    39

    Re: Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve

    Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    The vintage bug is strange and I can't look at new watches without feeling disgusted and amazed about why anyone would want one. Vintage Longines watches is the brand I have fallen in love with but as I'm a cheapskate I only buy wrecks.
    Rather than call yourself a cheapskate I'd say you have gumption. You know how to repair.

    I still like some of the new larger watches I have. Although there are the "ridiculously" over-sized ones which are somehow the in thing, at least for people who are looking for "wrist swag" (I mean we "all" are looking for a great watch but with some taste and character).

    Exhibit A:

    Name:  198136d1246554061-when-watch-too-big-your-wrist-imgp1092.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  47.4 KB

    Not my own. But the crown is as wide as one of his fingers. I've seen bigger than this too.


    Also, I can not find anywhere under the pendulum where the screw might go. Once again, very much a novice when it comes to these things. Is it possible it may have been the screw for something else and just been lodged in there forever? I mean the bumpers had to disappear somewhere too haha. Although he seemed quite sure it was a "case screw".
    Newly found out Chronometrophile.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Member Shum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,579

    Re: Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve

    Horrible...LOL

    The screw looks to short to be for the bumper spring assembly so who know where it comes from.

    I have found that square watches look a little bigger on the wrist so you can take a look at some of them and also watches from the 70's. In the 70's watches started to get fanzy and there was a period there analog digital watches were populare and some of them are huge.

    Buler jump hour watch | The Retro WorldThe Retro World

    Jump hour watchers are very collectable and prices are going up all the time.

    I alway forget the Like button but of course i love you old Universal.
    Last edited by Shum; December 19th, 2013 at 03:09.

  6. #25
    Member AbslomRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Canada
    Posts
    5,315

    Re: Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve

    Where abouts in ottawa are you? There's a very good watchmaker on St. Laurent (I met him in the local NAWCC chapter), but I'm not sure how expensive he is. There's a shop in Kanata that I go to for straps and crystals, but since I work on my own watches I can't tell you how good he is.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

  7. #26
    Member WingoWinston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    39

    Re: Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve

    Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    Horrible...LOL

    The screw looks to short to be for the bumper spring assembly so who know where it comes from.

    I have found that square watches look a little bigger on the wrist so you can take a look at some of them and also watches from the 70's. In the 70's watches started to get fanzy and there was a period there analog digital watches were populare and some of them are huge.

    Buler jump hour watch | The Retro WorldThe Retro World

    Jump hour watchers are very collectable and prices are going up all the time.
    Hopefully a skilled watch repair man will know then.

    That watch... is funny. I do not think I appreciate it very much. I've never been a fan of the square or rectangle watches. I however love old electronics. For the sake of collectible value I may consider purchasing one though.
    Newly found out Chronometrophile.

  8. #27
    Member WingoWinston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    39

    Re: Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve

    Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Where abouts in ottawa are you? There's a very good watchmaker on St. Laurent (I met him in the local NAWCC chapter), but I'm not sure how expensive he is. There's a shop in Kanata that I go to for straps and crystals, but since I work on my own watches I can't tell you how good he is.
    I live in the Glebe. I could bus there easily I'm sure. Do you have an address, name?
    Newly found out Chronometrophile.

  9. #28
    Member Shum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,579

    Re: Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve

    Quote Originally Posted by WingoWinston View Post
    Hopefully a skilled watch repair man will know then.

    That watch... is funny. I do not think I appreciate it very much. I've never been a fan of the square or rectangle watches. I however love old electronics. For the sake of collectible value I may consider purchasing one though.
    That's the thing these jump hour watches were all mechanical and was a way to try to stem the quartz watch revolution. I just love em and especially Sicura watches as these really captured the 70's style.

    Name:  P8174477.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  130.5 KB
    Just look at this beauty i got my grubby hands on.
    Last edited by Shum; December 19th, 2013 at 03:29.

  10. #29
    Member WingoWinston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    39

    Re: Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve

    Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    That's the thing these jump hour watches were all mechanical and was a way to try to stem the quartz watch revolution. I just love em and especially Sicura watches as these really captured the 70's style.

    Name:  P8174477.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  130.5 KB
    Just look at this beauty i got my grubby hands on.
    It looks like an old voltmeter haha
    Newly found out Chronometrophile.

  11. #30
    Member Shum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,579

    Re: Please Help Identify This Vintage Universal Geneve

    Quote Originally Posted by WingoWinston View Post
    It looks like an old voltmeter haha
    hehe...

    Guess we know where they got the design then...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •