Please help to identify watch
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Please help to identify watch

Please help to identify watch

Hello,
    I would really appreciate your help regarding this pocket watch.
    The only thing I know about this watch is that it has been in our family for many years. besides that, not a single fact.
    Therefore, there are few questions that I have. if your could help me answering them, i'll be very glad.
    Unfortunately teh watch is not in working condition and some diamonds are missing
    some things you can't see in the photos:
    what are the origins of this watch?
    who is the manufacturer?
    when was it manufactured?
    and of course, what is the value range of this watch?

Thank you in advance!
    Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Please help to identify watch

Welcome to Watchuseek. That looks like a ladies' pendant watch from ca. 1890-1910, give or take a little. It is strange that it lacks an extra lid but still has a savonette movement (the "12" is not where the crown is). It has a cylindre movement, possibly made by Fontainemelon (FHF) but to confirm that, we'd need to be able to see the other side of the movement, underneath the dial. The movement is nothing special but, provided it runs, it should make a nice heirloom with all that decoration. If you wish to run it, you should have it serviced, though.

Hartmut Richter
    busmatt and badbackdan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Welcome to Watchuseek. That looks like a ladies' pendant watch from ca. 1890-1910, give or take a little. It is strange that it lacks an extra lid but still has a savonette movement (the "12" is not where the crown is). It has a cylindre movement, possibly made by Fontainemelon (FHF) but to confirm that, we'd need to be able to see the other side of the movement, underneath the dial. The movement is nothing special but, provided it runs, it should make a nice heirloom with all that decoration. If you wish to run it, you should have it serviced, though.

Hartmut Richter
    Dear Hartmut.

Thank you for detailed overview. It helps a lot.

Unfortunately, i do not seek keeping this watch but rather selling it (before or after service).

Do you have any recommendations how to manage this? Never did that before

Thanks,
    Michael

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

if you could weight the case without movement that would give you the price by counting the scrape value for 18k
    diamonds if real will have price too
    Chaos is my focus

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    if you could weight the case without movement that would give you the price by counting the scrape value for 18k
    diamonds if real will have price too
    so, basically, if i understand correctly, there is no value for the watch, just like raw materials (gold/diamonds)?

Quote Originally Posted by Haifa1 View Post
    so, basically, if i understand correctly, there is no value for the watch, just like raw materials (gold/diamonds)?
    If you read the sticky "7-rule" thread about watch valuation, you will see that this forum is not really intended for valuation, and certainly not for valuation of gold and hypothetical diamonds. You can choose to scrap it if you like; however, the watch could certainly be restored, and then kept as an heirloom (perhaps by a female family member) or sold as a decorative piece.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I should point out that any posting of intent to sell in open fora is against the forum Rules & Guidelines. Secondly, although we can't obviously prevent you, the destruction of a vintage watch for scrapping purposes is heavily frowned upon here! Although the watch is technically rather primitive, the decorative case will raise its value somewhat and may appeal to a true collector. If you don't find one of those at the first attempt and the watch doesn't fetch what you expected, you may well find one later so melting it down would still be a great pity then. It is, after all, a part of watch history.

Hartmut Richter
    badbackdan likes this.

That might not be the original movement since it doesn't fit a pendant watch. If, and it's a big if, there are no damaged parts then the price for a service should be pretty reasonable and worth it to save a pretty little case. However, the case does show damage and would not be easily repairable.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreWatches View Post
    That might not be the original movement since it doesn't fit a pendant watch. If, and it's a big if, there are no damaged parts then the price for a service should be pretty reasonable and worth it to save a pretty little case. However, the case does show damage and would not be easily repairable.
    I agree.
    The case appears to be of good quality. 18K gold, enamel over a machine turned pattern, quite possibly diamonds. In contrast ,the movement looks quite primitive. I would not expect a case of this quality to house such a movement. But then I'm a complete novice when it comes to pocket watches.

It is a shame that the enamel is damaged, bit I'm sure that could be fixed.
    We don't do valuations. I would expect that you'd get more selling this to a collector/ restorer than the scrap value of the case.
    Scrapping such a case would be a shame.

Personally I think that cashing in on a family heirloom rather than passing it on is selfish and disrespectful, but it's clear that you won't agree. You are entitled not to agree of course, but I do think that selling an heirloom to be melted down is especially callous.

Thread Information