Please HELP: Identifying grandpa's old watches

Thread: Please HELP: Identifying grandpa's old watches

Please HELP: Identifying grandpa's old watches

Cleaning out stuff since he past away last year, I came over these. I am mostly interested in the first one, with the gold (maybe not real) movement. Info follows under each picture.

Pocket watch. The dial says "MEPHISTO". Movement engraved with "MEPHISTO" and also "SWISS MADE". Where the ornament on the movement is (near the spring and balance cock), it says:
    S | F
    R | A
    ...where the two |'s make out an arrow.
    The movement is also engraved (amateurly) with the initials "PB" (probably the watchman who put it together?)
    Movement looks fine, and it can set time, but it won't wind. Needs repair.
    Does anyone have any clue?

Left watch says "HAGI WATCH" and "ANCRE 15 RUBIES" (or angre), and "SWISS" below the number six. Broken.
    Right watch says "MOUTON WATCH" (barely readable), nothing else. Works, but needs cleaning.
    Both are wristwatches.

These two I am only curious about, in case anyone recognizes them. Not so important.
    Left one seems unbranded, says "QUARTZ" among other things. Wristwatch.
    The right one is a stop watch, still working perfectly, says "FABUNA" and "INCABLOC", and "SWISS MADE" at the bottom.

Ok, people, I need some help here. Most of all wondering about the top one, and if it's worth spending money on repair.

Re: Please HELP: Identifying grandpa's old watches

I presume that those watches belonged to your ancestores,so there is no doubt that its worth spending many on restoring them.Pocket watch from the first photo came from 1930s probably,it has nice deco case.Nothing special regarding movement,looks like lower grade movement.Probably doesnt need repairing but service.

Wrist watches are also from 1930s,or early 1940s.15.jewel is decent number of jewels for that era.Try post some photos of the movements.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Maybe a broken mainspring on the Mephisto. It's not a valuable watch but may be worth repair since it belonged to your grandfather.
    Same thing with the other two wristwatches. I agree everything is 1930s/40s with the exception of the quartz one which is 1970s/1980s probably.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Having some trouble removing bezel and accessing movement on the other old-looking ones, will drop by a watchmaker tomorrow.

But I am curious about the brands. Google didn't help much. Mephisto seems a style/look, not a brand. Hagi only returns stuff about the football player (soccer), and Mouton appears non-existing.

Are these just regular, cheap watches from manufacturers who don't exist anymore?

Yes probably this is the case. There are hundreds of brands that just disappeared during the quartz revolution. None of the brands you mentioned are familiar to me at all.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Sometimes the names on watches represent sub-brands of larger companies. Sometimes they represent small manufacutures that went out of business. And sometimes they represent the house brands of mid to large size retail establishments that purchases movements from watch companies and have their house name engraved on them.

Seven jewels is the bare minimum on a decent pocketwatch. Would probably run and still keep accurate time though. On a wristwatch, 15 jewels is low-to mid grade, but still represents a good, solid watch. Sounds to me like your grandpa was a practical man with a eye for good value.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Watchmaker is gonna have a look at them at the end of next week. I will probably fix them, as long as it's not too expensive. Hopefully cleaning will remove most of what those decades have put them through.

Thread Information