Please help this lost soul!

Thread: Please help this lost soul!

Please help this lost soul!

Happy Monday to one and all!

I saw this back opener on the "bay" and it got me to wondering if it would be a good generic tool for someone such as myself to have.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

With the proper tools, I have just started to be able to remove straps. I don't intend to try to fix any of my watches. At this point I would like to be able to open a watch to take photos of the movement and such. Somewhere down the line, I would like to experiment taking apart non working watches in preparation to doing some basic work on them.

If you think this is worthless, I would like to know. $20.00 isn't a lot of money. I would just like to be able to do more than just look at my watches. Please help this neophyte in taking the next step in hobby of collecting watches.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Re: Please help this lost soul!

If you don't have to open the back of your watch to regulate it and you just want to take a photo of the movement to post and your new to opening the case don't I have had nice case backs scratch free until I used that tool and oop's.Learn on your junk watches first every one has a few of those in there collection.Thats not a bad price.
    Here is a link to Otto Frie I some time's use the AF pocket case wench and there are a few case back opener's on the page.
    http://www.ofrei.com/page557.html

Banned

I never liked the wrench style case back tools, I think palm-held ones are better. With the palm held versions you can put even pressure on the caseback slots, which will allow a better balanced motion to turn with and less chance of slipping, which means less chance of scratching. If you could find that without the handle you'd be better off.

If you're going to be opening casebacks that screw down you should be aware of potential gasket issues. When you unscrew that caseback the gasket will be dry and need lubrication. Or worse - it will be goo and need replacing. Either way you're asking for trouble when you go to put the caseback on again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    I never liked the wrench style case back tools, I think palm-held ones are better. With the palm held versions you can put even pressure on the caseback slots, which will allow a better balanced motion to turn with and less chance of slipping, which means less chance of scratching. If you could find that without the handle you'd be better off.

If you're going to be opening casebacks that screw down you should be aware of potential gasket issues. When you unscrew that caseback the gasket will be dry and need lubrication. Or worse - it will be goo and need replacing. Either way you're asking for trouble when you go to put the caseback on again.

We he said ^^^^^

You could try the small rubber case back opener balls (ebay for a few quid) which are pretty good and won't scratch the case!!

I vote don't do it. If the caseback isn't tight (and even if it is) those rubber ball openers are more then sufficient. If you need more leverage then that, the cheap javax tools are useless (the teeth tend to bend when you tighten the wrench, which causes them to slip off). There's a reason the real ones are so expensive.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information