Please help me find information on this watch company
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Please help me find information on this watch company

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help me find information on this watch company

My grandfather was modest man. Years after his death my Grandmother gave me his prized wristwatch. My Grandmother gave him the watch many years ago (1950’s or 1960’s). They where not wealthy but the watch crown is 18k gold with a stainless steel back. It also has an automatic Swiss Movement. The watch is a Ruxton. It has tremendous sentimental value to me.

Both of my Grandparents have passed away so I am afraid that is all I know. I can only describe the face as very beautiful with a kind of subtle golden pearlescence sunburst radiating from the center of the watch, which matched well with the gold crown. (Edit: After some thought I think the mother-of-pearl description is incorrect…it was more of a slight iridescence) It was a very subtle effect so don’t think mother-of-pearl.

I made a terrible mistake, and had the watch refinished some ten years ago. The watchmaker assured me he could return the watch, including the face, to original. You see the face had some light blemishes at the bottom of the dial. What I got back was horrible. The watchmaker basically repainted the face a kind of flat silver/grey, and made a horrible attempt to repaint the word Ruxton on the dial. He had never heard of a “Ruxton” and felt it was probably some store brand.

Over the last ten years I have asked everyone I could if they have every heard of a Ruxton watch company. So here I am again. I have searched the web and found nothing except every now and again one comes for sale on ebay, or in some estate sale. Nothing I have found looks like my Grandfather's watch.

The watch has little monetary value, but it is priceless to me. I would like to find a skilled watchmaker that can refinish the dial back to its original look. I would like to look down on the same watch face my Grandfather saw. I know it’s a long shot posting the question here…

If ANYONE can help me find a source for Ruxton watches so that just maybe I can find information on the watch face or if anyone knows of a highly skilled watchmaker who could strip away the “restored” face and redo the restoration, I would greatly appreciate it.

THANK YOU!!!
    Last edited by Qweevox; April 8th, 2007 at 18:06.

Re: Please help me find information on this watch company

Hello Q,

I am so far away from being an expert. I read your post and felt compelled to Google. I'm sure you've done the same. I found a few sites referencing the watch brand. Maybe you can contact the sellers and see if they have any info if no one here can help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RUXTON-AUTOMATIC...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nice-40s-Ruxton-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.marktplaats.nl/index.php?...%3D%26xref%3D1

Good luck,
    Keith

stuffler,mike

I had no luck searching my archives. There´s no book in my library even mentioning Ruxton watches which makes me believe it was produced as a Private Label Brand by an unknown watch company.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

One more piece to add to the puzzle...

The funny translation of the auction description from Dutch to English by babblefish =

Very separate railway watch of the mark Ruxton Watch & co This quality pocket watch entirely valid orginele Montgomery have entirely written out dial with Arab figures and the minutes of 0 till 60 The rolled applied plate cupboard are of 10 carats and of Keystone -- Victory The watch has splendid gaaf and clean quality hour work, anchor pace what is well with 17 jewels and a rapidly twisting compensation balance gesteend The watch wind you by impression the opwindknop and the indicators resisted by this bud just as you to take off. The Goldfilledkast have both for and behind a propeller lid. The watch runs well!! Do Verz. will cost a to the first tenderer of the desired amount!!? 1.76 is for the purchaser!! VR GR By

Last thoughts, swiss made for an American distributor, this happened a lot. Ruxton as a name is widely mentioned in searches and is also associated with a car maker that went out of business in the first half of the 20th century. Just a clue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by SnapIT; April 10th, 2007 at 08:43.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

THANK YOU ALL for trying to help. I have seen some "Ruxton" watches come up from time to time for sale. I've also contacted a few of the sellers but none as yet have been able to give me any information on the company. I guess they must have been some sort of private lable.

In any case I will keep trying.

Thanks Again!

Hello there, you aren't the only one who is stumped for answers about this company, as I have just purchased a 1940s vintage Ruxton Automatic wristwatch just this morning at the antique mall for $3 that still functions including the radium lume on the dial and hands (the hands glow brighter than the numerals on the face.) I have posted a picture of it on here for you so that you can see what it looks like.
    -Levi
    Name:  DSCN1981.JPG
Views: 1573
Size:  43.4 KB
    A joke a day keeps the Doctor away!

Now where did you find that information Shawnny? Certainly you didn't just Google "Ruxton" and come up with that specific of information about that watch name, because even I tried that and didn't find that page with that information.

I Googled Ruxton Watch Co. It came up on the second page.

Well that's interesting and amazing that you could do that Shawnny, maybe you could do the same for a few unknown named watches I have that I have had for quite a while and have yet to find any info on the names stamped on the dials of the watches. The first "watch company" (if that's what they are) is "Lord Alton" the Second one is a company called "Toka" the third one is a company called "Bedford" and the final one is a company called "Richard". All of those names have lots of watches that show up from time to time on eBay but nothing about those "companies" can be found anywhere on the internet (not by me anyways.)
    Last edited by captainclock; January 29th, 2012 at 07:51.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information