Please Help Me ID and Date Newly Inherited Pocket Watch

Thread: Please Help Me ID and Date Newly Inherited Pocket Watch

Please Help Me ID and Date Newly Inherited Pocket Watch

Hello.

I just inherited this pocket watch from my grandmother who recently passed. It has a key for winding the movement. The case is marked "H. A. Favre" LOCLE. From the little research I've done, I take this to mean it was manufactured in Le Locle, Switzerland. There seem to be 3 or 4 different "H. A. Favre"s in the lineage of the Favre-Jacot company which later became Zenith(?)

The movement itself doesn't appear to be marked. There's an outer case and then an inner lid over the movement... the serial numbers on each match. Is the inner lid part of the movement? Or is that all just part of the case?

There's a Crown containing 2 crosses and the number 18. Does this mean the case is 18K gold? There's also a very tiny little stamped shape that looks like a leaf or something right above that.

The serial is 12972. There's an FJ above it. (Maybe Favre-Jacot?) There's also another number below that looks like A "section" symbol or maybe three little stacked circles followed by 021.

The face is also gold colored metal with some detailing and raised roman numerals... which is surprising as most watches I'm finding have a white face. The crystal over the face is missing, but the hinged frame for it is still there. The hands are missing.

Any help would be much appreciated!

High quality photos of all elements are available here: https://plus.google.com/photos/10828...97273966804817

THANKS!
    Thor

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Please Help Me ID and Date Newly Inherited Pocket Watch

Welcome to Watchuseek. The watch has nothing to do with George Favre-Jacot himself - the movement is characteristic of the Swiss bar movements from ca. 1830-1870 and GF-J didn't start business until 1865 and never used that calibre style to the best of my knowledge (and I know most of the old Zenith movements). It is nevertheless of high quality, having a Swiss lever (a lot of these movements were cylindre escapement movements). Well worth restoring.

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for the reply, Hartmut!

Does it make sense that the movement has a S/F switch to fine tune the speed? S/F would presumably mean slow and fast, right? Would those letters have been used in a European watch?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is a little closer... definitely the same guy.

H.A. Favre 18k Gold Pocket Watch : Lot 2118

The S/F means it was probably built for an english market, and the lack of any british hallmarks would suggest that market was America. Very good quality; looks to be 15j (fully jeweled) using sapphires, an artfully counterpoised side lever (British style, that), and a split bi-metallic balance wheel; all signs of a reasonably expensive watch for the time. Favre was a fairly common name; the list of watchmakers named Favre from Le Locle has a number of entries, and there's nothing to say that the Favre who had the case engraved was even a watchmaker; he could easily have been a jeweler or seller.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    The S/F means it was probably built for an english market, and the lack of any british hallmarks would suggest that market was America. Very good quality; looks to be 15j (fully jeweled) using sapphires, an artfully counterpoised side lever (British style, that), and a split bi-metallic balance wheel; all signs of a reasonably expensive watch for the time. Favre was a fairly common name; the list of watchmakers named Favre from Le Locle has a number of entries, and there's nothing to say that the Favre who had the case engraved was even a watchmaker; he could easily have been a jeweler or seller.
    Awesome. Thanks so much for the info.

How does one go about having a piece like this evaluated for restoration? Any recommendations?

-Thor

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    The S/F means it was probably built for an english market, and the lack of any british hallmarks would suggest that market was America.
    Or any part of the British Empire - such as Australia, Canada or India for example. Only watches put up for sale in the UK bear UK hallmarks.
    Last edited by Mirius; December 27th, 2011 at 10:50.

Thread Information