Please help me to ID a vintage Omega and (an almost definitely fake) rolex.
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Please help me to ID a vintage Omega and (an almost definitely fake) rolex.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help me to ID a vintage Omega and (an almost definitely fake) rolex.

Hello all,

A family friend recently gave me a box of old watches that he found in his loft. It doesn't seem like he knew anything about them and they may have belonged to the previous owner of his house.

Most of them aren't of much interest (timex, rotary, accurist and some other brands I've never heard of) but there are two that stood out. An Omega that looks similar to a watch I saw online called ref. 2508-18 and a 'rolex oyster perpetual quartz' (which I'm fairly sure is fake).

The only other information I have is that the Omega is manual-wind and its case back has an 18 engraved to the right of the crown and the 'rolex' has the crown logo, Rolex, Swiss and 3218 on its case back. I can't find any watch that fits the description of the 'rolex' and the font of 'quartz' is bizarre so also makes me think it's fake.

I'd really appreciate any information anyone could give me about either (particularly the Omega because I'm quite sure the rolex is fake).
    Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  2.04 MBName:  image2.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  1.12 MB
    Thanks

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Please help me to ID a vintage Omega and (an almost definitely fake) rolex.

I can only confirm your suspicions on the Rolex. You get Rolex (Oyster) Perpetuals, you get Rolex Oysterquartz - but definitely no Rolex Perpetual Quartz! Others will help you out with the Omega.

Hartmut Richter

Hi and welcome
    For the OMEGA, we need the model stamped in the inside of back case, with that we can help

Yes, Rolex looks fake, seems to say ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL QUARTz - an Impossible combination!
    But I can not even see if it has a screw down crown
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; July 28th, 2015 at 22:10.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the quick responses guys, really appreciate the help.

I took a picture of the back.

Name:  caseback.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  1.15 MB

I also took a photo with the case off.

Name:  caseoff.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  1.26 MB

Your Omega is unfortunately not listed in the Omega vintage watch database- there is a CK 2544, and then... CK 2572. All the ref.numbers in between aren't there- which doesn't mean that your watch isn't original. I am pretty convinced that it is original- though to verify that I would have to see the movement! As a stainless steel one, it should be a CK 2553 as indicated by the case reference number. The Dennison markings indicate that this one has been made for the British market.
    The Omega database lacks many watches which are known to exist, and though examples of these models have no signs of faking or frankenizing whatsoever, there is still no way to verify them, except the Constellation line watches.
    Your Omega is what I believe to be a watch from the "general collection", which Omega lists as -OTHER- in the database. Judging by the design, this one is from the 1950s (movement serial number would be useful here). I have found two watches, the CK 2581 and 2583, which have a similar case (though they are sized differently) and both were introduced in 1949, both discontinued in 1958. Depending on the size of your watch, I think it is quite possible that it shares the case type with one of them.

EDIT: Movement pic appeared while I was typing. Serial number on this cal.267 dates it to...1959.
    Last edited by mkws; July 28th, 2015 at 22:56.
    HOROLOGIST007 and doggbiter like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Obviously an Omega Cal. 267, used between 1939-1963:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Omega 267

From the serial number (16.9 million), yours seems to be from ca. 1959.

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for the help mkws and Hartmut Richter.

mkws, I measured it to try to find out which of the models you talked about it might be (34mm without crown and 42mm lug to lug) but since those were both discontinued in 1958 but the movement's from 1959 does that imply it's been
    frankenized? Or could it still just be one of those from the 'general collection' you mentioned?

I had intended to sell it (because I have a fairly similar 60s seamaster) but seems like 267 is quite common and they don't go for much so I might hang on to it.

Thanks again for the help.

That the other watches were discontinued then has no relation to when your watch was. I have only implied that they possibly have used the same case type- but if it is precisely 34mm without crown, then the looks of the case of your watch is simply very similar to them- both watches I have mentioned were 32.5 and 35mm respectively. So, if your measurement is correct, there is no relation.
    I believe that your watch is OK- doesn't look to be a redial either, as a matter of fact the dial is in a great condition. You might only want to change the crystal, or simply have it polished out- depends on the type of damage that it clearly has around 1 o'clock. In my opinion, this watch is definitely something you would want to keep. Clean and simple design, a nice piece to wear and enjoy.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

It looks legit to me. mkws is on point.

You should take the watch to a watchmaker and have it serviced at a minimum. The oils in it have probably been long dried up. A good watchmaker can potentially clean it up, replace crystal if necessary. I would advise against having the dial cleaned or refurbished. It looks to be in good condition, and is probably worth more in clean original condition, than refurbished.

Nice find! Good luck with it.
    mkws likes this.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information