Please help me identify my pocketwatch movement (dynamo /dreyfuss, marx & cie)
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Please help me identify my pocketwatch movement (dynamo /dreyfuss, marx & cie)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help me identify my pocketwatch movement (dynamo /dreyfuss, marx & cie)

Hi all. I checked all key wound movements of ranfft, and and still cant find this movement. The diameter of the movement is 5,1cm, 15rubis.

the watch is a swiss dynamo, (dreyfuss, marx&cie), that was exported to russia/russian empire.

thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Please help me identify my pocketwatch movement (dynamo /dreyfuss, marx & cie)

this movement was a Ebauches of Billodes, George Favre Jacot then become Zenith caliber 54 called Turques.
    regards enrico

Re: Please help me identify my pocketwatch movement (dynamo /dreyfuss, marx & cie)

Thanks, but all the movements, i found with google have 23 rubis. Mine have 15. does this have a meaning, or is this simply a movement of lower quality?

thanks

Last edited by pamaro; March 17th, 2017 at 23:07.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not necessarily might these additional jewels have had any function. Possibly some were simply additional capstones.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

THe movement is a generic Lepine V with lever escapement, which get his name by the typical bridge form. They were build in a big amound by differend producers manly as a ebouche. Billodes/ GF-J was only one of them and this isn't a Zenith caliber 54 called Turques. Unfortunately I've only a picture of an Lepine V ebouche from Yapy with cylinder escapement:

Name:  SAM_2980.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  101.8 KB
    Simular peaces were sold with a bridge design for a lever escapement as well. I don't know enough about Dreyfuß, Marx & Cie if they produce complete on their own, complete movements or just trade.

Regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; March 18th, 2017 at 05:21.
    mkws likes this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

strange, I remember that the shape of the anchor bridge was a feature of the manufacture of Billodes
    have a look at the superlative ZEN site
    https://sites.google.com/site/zenithistoric/

https://sites.google.com/site/zenith...-en-mouvements
    regards enrico

Now i am confused. To me, my movements looks more like the cal 54 turques.

Yes it is very confusing if you've the structure of the watch manufactures 2017 in your head. Nearly all nowadays famous manufactures was build between 1850- 1880 and they don't start as big producers. The watch industrie had been there established as a main part of the economy. Those times watches was produced in a network system with round about 3000 differend jobs around the watch/clock. One polished pins, another produced bows for cases and the best regulate the escapement who might be produced by different watchmakers (lever, leverwheel, leverbridge). Therefore it is often unpossible to detect "the maker" if you don't find any name on a watch. The lepine V was build in fact until 1920 for conservative markets when manufactures produce the majority of watches.

Here some spare parts. On the left a billodes, in the middle a unknown Lepine V with cylinder and on the right a Lepne V market Perret & Fils with these nice senceless "glasbeats". If you srew them away they don't have any contact to a pin and the sence is to look more valuable

Name:  SAM_2983.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  78.5 KB

look also here: Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

Regards Silke

@Enrico: I love the sides of Joel Duval and visit them very often - just to look
    Last edited by SilkeN; March 18th, 2017 at 12:26.

Thank you for all the background informations!

But this doesnt make it easier, in this case. The marked place looks different on a lepine, but exactly the same on the cal 54

As always everything is possible but I've never seen a billodes with bridges who are shorter than the ground platine or dial feeds srewed from above. Under the line everything is possible even if its just very unlikely. As far as I know Georges Favre-Jaot just sell complete watches with foreign marks and no ebouche without wheels and escapement. This must be the case if you find modified bridges. Don' forget this bridge design with lever escapement was the favorite in the end of the 19 century for good keywinders. Many watchmakers/manufactures/etablisseure work with them. You'll nearly always find matching parts.
    You own a very nice watch out of west switzerland made for the russian market. Gread thing .

Regards Silke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information