Please help me identify this pocket watch from 1860.

Thread: Please help me identify this pocket watch from 1860.

Please help me identify this pocket watch from 1860.

This watch was purchased by my Grandfather in 1973 at Urban Jurgensen in Copenhagen, Denmark. A card with it states that it is from 1860 but doesn't say who made it. There are no identifying marks other than what is shown on the movement. It does have a number stamped on the inside of the covers and there are two very small hand etched sets of numbers under the cover to the movement. Anyone have any idea what this is? Should I find a better magnifying glass and try to get those numbers?
    The watch works and seems to be in very good condition except for what looks like enamel chipped off the face around the hands. Is this a typical problem considering the age or would it be from some type of abuse.
    Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Please help me identify this pocket watch from 1860.

Hi and welcome.

The little hand etched numbers will be marks left by watchmakers. They use their own coding system so that they can check back on what was done and when should the watch be returned to them in the future. They sometimes include a date year - or what looks like a date year - but are otherwise indecipherable.

I'm not a pocket watch collector, but that pattern of movement is generally impossible to attribute to a particular maker. But others may know more - await further replies.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I'm also far from an expert, but that movement looks Swiss to me, and mass produced Swiss too. I don't know the Swiss watchmaking history too well, but I don't think that it is as early as 1860, more likely perhaps 1890 - 1920

I'd say it's a cylinder movement that is jewelled on the balance, third and fourth wheels, so a good grade for this type. The dial with the minute track and ornate hands to me suggests either a German or French market. The lack of F S on the balance cock would seem to underline that. That said I don't know anything about Danish styles though that is part of the 'Germanic' speaking part of Europe.

Damage to the dial in the centre is not unusual, though it does of course take away from the value of the piece. Cause is hard to say though it's likely to come from contact between the hands/ pinion and the dial, perhaps from abuse or perhaps as the dial was fitted/ not adjusted properly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for responding. I was hoping that the markings on the balance cock was some kind of makers mark or indicator of who made it. I assumed that the dealer would have known what this was and used the numbers to date it, although they don't seem to indicate a date. I guess the dealer could have just been guessing it was from 1860.

All that I can tell you is that it's a generic Swiss bar movement with cylinder escapement.
    C1860 would seem about right as this is a key wind and set movement, later movements of this
    type would be stem wind and or pin set set.
    Often there is no clue on the watch as to the maker, sometimes there is an ebauche makers mark
    on the plate under the dial or the underside of a bridge but mostly not.

Key wind seemed to continue right through and be contemporary to stem and pin set. My theory is that these different setting mechanisms may be unique to different ebauche manufacturers.

Thanks for all your feedback and pointing me in the right direction. I'm now reading up on generic swiss movements. Does anyone know what the symbols are on the movement. I assume they stand for fast and slow. One appears to be an R but I'm not sure what the other one is.

They would be R and A. Retard and Avance or in English Slower and Faster

Thread Information