Please help me identify this pocket watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Please help me identify this pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help me identify this pocket watch

My mom bought this watch for my dad in 1990 and he handed it down to me. She purchased it from a jeweler who no longer exists. As you can see it is quite clean so I assume it is a replica? I can't show the movement yet because I don't see how to open the part of the case to expose the movement and of course don't want to use prying tools. I wound it partially and it appears to be working properly but I don't know if I'm to touch the hands to set it, or if there is another means. I appreciate any help.

Name:  ppjbRXGl.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  94.6 KBName:  a0KyErOl.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  93.9 KBName:  2N7MtpAl.jpg
Size:  81.0 KB

Name:  oyhJPcgl.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  79.5 KBName:  KCBU1Qvl.jpg
Size:  97.2 KBName:  Xlpei82l.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  57.9 KB

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Please help me identify this pocket watch

I see nothing that would indicate that it's a reproduction.

With the crystal hinged back, push and lift the tab that is at 6:00. I expect that the movement will swing out of the case. There may be a brass dust cover over it-this is removed by sliding the blue steel spring and then just lifting off.

The hands are set by putting the key on the center post(called the cannon pinion) and turning.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

I tried pushing the small tab inward and up but nothing budged. I'm afraid to put too much pressure on it and I don't really have proper tools. There are two tiny screws and it appears the dial is screwed down (??)

Name:  IMG_2464.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  1,017.8 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ok I was able to open the tab. There are no markings aside from the scroll work

Name:  IMG_2468.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  684.5 KB

The watch is definitely 18k gold. I can see the hallmark. And you wind from the back, and set from the front, using a key.

It definitely looks like it's from the 1820s. I don't understand why you're calling this a replica? It's the better part of 200 years old...
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    The watch is definitely 18k gold. I can see the hallmark. And you wind from the back, and set from the front, using a key.

It definitely looks like it's from the 1820s. I don't understand why you're calling this a replica? It's the better part of 200 years old...
    Indeed! A beautiful heirloom watch that looks to be in wonderful condition. It's worth more than any other watch you may have, I suspect.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I knew it was gold and my hope it was genuine, but considered the possibility it might be a high-quality replica given its pristine condition. I am happy to learn it is genuine and regardless, I treasure it as a gift from my dad. Do you think the "circa 1825" means that the watch was made that early? To me it looks very similar to those watches made ~1880 onward.

Thank you so much

The dust cover should lift off the movement-it appears to already be unlatched.
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

BTW, the case appears to me to be American made, especially given that it lacks a full set of hallmarks(the crown is used for gold in England, but not typically with an 18 under it the case lacks the assay office and date letter).

The case LOOKS like karat gold to me in terms of its construction, but at the same time the mark gives me a bit of a pause. I'm not questioning it's validity, but at the same time I'd be uncomfortable calling it gold without holding it in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    BTW, the case appears to me to be American made, especially given that it lacks a full set of hallmarks(the crown is used for gold in England, but not typically with an 18 under it the case lacks the assay office and date letter).

The case LOOKS like karat gold to me in terms of its construction, but at the same time the mark gives me a bit of a pause. I'm not questioning it's validity, but at the same time I'd be uncomfortable calling it gold without holding it in my hands.
    I'm going to seek out an expert and should be able to find someone knowledgeable an hour away in the city. I'm interested in the history of the watch more than anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information