please help me identify this vintage Roamer

Thread: please help me identify this vintage Roamer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs Up please help me identify this vintage Roamer

Picked up this "vintage Roamer" with an impulse buy on what I thought was a Quartz, Roamer from the 70s with mild crystal scratching and a black & gold expandable band. I was under the assumption that the band was not original, and that the watch was a quartz/battery watch because the only description was that the watch needs a battery. Regardless, I liked the deal and love retro watches; sold. So as soon as I get it I take the watch to get a battery put in and the guy tells me it's a winding watch! I can't believe I didn't think to check but, I thought it required a battery. I suppose I was mesmerized that the watch crystal looked better in person. As of this writing, several hours later, the watch is still keeping perfect time off the turns the jeweler gave it, I wish I had asked him to open it up but there were other customers and I wasn't buying. The case back is marked "stainless steel case."

GIven that the case back is not labeled with a model number, I believe that if it is real, it must be from before 1966...

"in the late 1950s the Type II cases had a case number stamped inside, and I will refer to these as Type IIa. From 1966, all type II cases were marked with an external model number and the case number stamped inside. I will refer to these as Type IIb cases. " It also looks like the type II case because of the crystal width, which apparently means its from after 1955. That doesn't conflict with my age estimate. All of this can be seen here..

http://roamer-watches.info/caseandmodelnumbers.shtml

Needless to say, I am concerned that I may have bought a fake watch for several reasons.

1) I have never seen a roamer logo in cursive like this
    2) The fact that the seller said it required a battery and it ended up winding is also strange. Although this is confusing all entirely because usually it is the other way around. (A fake automatic/winding watch will require a battery).
    3) I have never seen a roamer with hands like this (usually broader).

Anywho, I paid too little to care if it's fake, and will probably end up negative comment blackmailing the seller if it turns out to be when I see my "watch guy" next week. So busy I don't have the time to get there for a bit, so I defer to you vintage watch wizards out there! Grateful for any and all comments on the age, authenticity, rarity etc of this watch. I'll come back and let you know what the watch snob says.

Last edited by Jebus1205; December 14th, 2013 at 01:52.

Re: please help me identify this vintage Roamer

A movement pic would be nice. And a caseback pic too!

But the dial pic makes me believe you are correct in doubting the authenticity... or, at least, you are getting a poor redial.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    A movement pic would be nice. And a caseback pic too!

But the dial pic makes me believe you are correct in doubting the authenticity... or, at least, you are getting a poor redial.
    Movement pics are coming in a few days, I don't have tools and don't want to damage it trying (supposing it is real).

Here is a picture of the caseback, although it only says "stainless steel case" or something along those lines.

Last edited by Jebus1205; December 14th, 2013 at 02:15.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Trim is your man for dating but the case back looks genuine to me. I'd suggest early 1940s with a terrible redial. Roamer did use a cursive logo but I've never seen it on a watch as new as this one.

Ugly bracelet :) would look better with leather but overall a good buy as the case looks in fair condition and all it needs is a new dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Trim is your man for dating but the case back looks genuine to me. I'd suggest early 1940s with a terrible redial. Roamer did use a cursive logo but I've never seen it on a watch as new as this one.

Ugly bracelet :) would look better with leather but overall a good buy as the case looks in fair condition and all it needs is a new dial.
    Absolutely, I am auditioning two brown leather bands I have.

Normally I wouldn't pay for the labor/parts but I LOVE Roamers, got it at a really good price and it appears to keep perfect time, so I think I can splurge to make this thing sweet again. Would it be appropriate to contact "Trim" via private message? Any advice on where/cost of a dial for something of this time period? I'm probably just going to monitor ebay for what comes through once I have the case measured and an idea of dials from the period.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

I'm sure trim will be along shortly but of course you can PM him. Looking around I'd move my date a little later but I'd only be working on guy feel.

Dials won't be easy but on the other hand it is the cases that get the most wear so you might be lucky. Or you could get it redone properly.

Dial in my opinion re-worked vNOT original - its terrible.
    Case yes correct
    ONLY movement pics can decide
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

please help me identify this vintage Roamer

Case, dial and hands already decided.
    Last edited by Mirius; December 15th, 2013 at 08:04.

Late 40s, very very early 1950s.

I'll see if I can dig up an image of what it should look like - busy ATM with work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    I'm sure trim will be along shortly but of course you can PM him. Looking around I'd move my date a little later but I'd only be working on guy feel.

Dials won't be easy but on the other hand it is the cases that get the most wear so you might be lucky. Or you could get it redone properly.
    define "get it redone properly" as opposed to swapping for a same-period dial from ebay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information