Please help me in identifying this pocket watch (potentially antique German)

Thread: Please help me in identifying this pocket watch (potentially antique German)

Please help me in identifying this pocket watch (potentially antique German)

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time visiting these forums, so I apologize if I am posting in the incorrect place, but if you all could assist me in determining what kind of pocket watch this is, it would be greatly appreciated.

It was given to me by my grandfather, who I believe received it from either his father or his grandfather (so it is either my great-grandfathers or my great-great-grandfathers.) I come from a long line in Germany, so I have suspicions it may be German, around late 1800's perhaps.

I cannot seem to figure out how to open the case, and before I take it to someone to take it apart, I wanted to see if you could perhaps tell what kind it was just by seeing the front and back of it.

Thanks in advance!

Max

P.S. In the picture of the front, it is rather hard to see, but there are two dogs (appear to be hunting dogs - I could be wrong) that are looking away from each other, perhaps this helps somehow.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  37.9 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  41.6 KB
    Last edited by DarkNight22; June 5th, 2012 at 07:34.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Please help me in identifying this pocket watch (potentially antique German)

Moved to the more suitable forum.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Please help me in identifying this pocket watch (potentially antique German)

The hand style would suggest that German is a good possibility - ornate hands were more fashionable in continental Europe than in the English world. It's hand winding, pin set which would suggest late 1800's to 1915ish. Back and front covers appear to be hinged but you do need to open it to tell us more. Up near the pendant should be a lip or a cut out into which you can insert a thumbnail or carefully a knife blade. It could be still so be stiff if not opened for many years so be very careful that any blade does not slip and damage the case (or your hand if it's sharp).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I was able to open the back, and this is what I found:

It's a Cylindre 10 Rubis, but it also has other markings too. In a little box, it says 'Galonne' and in a circle near the bottom, there is the word 'Victor' with a couple numbers under it. Then on the left side of the cover there is a crown with a crescent moon on its left, and the last thing is a dove or bird on the right side carrying a number placard.

Any clue?

Thanks!

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Well done. We need photos and we need you to open the inner cover you are looking at - it will open in the same way, to reveal the movement itself (which is what we need a photo of).

Galonne means a silver case decorated with gold inlay. The crescent moon and crown are the German import marks, but it also means that it's probably a Swiss watch which was made for the German market. Ten rubies would indicate a good quality cylinder movement, at least for it's time.

It has to be said that we probably won't be able to tell you much more about the watch than this because cylinder escapements are notoriously difficult to identify as they were mass made and often as not sold on to other companies who cased them up - much in fact like most of the modern watch world!

Thread Information