Please help me with indentify this watch!

Thread: Please help me with indentify this watch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help me with indentify this watch!

Hello people!
    I hawe two watches with no name on watch but with a lot interesting thinks on watch.Both have Millitary Arrows with number on case and movement with low serial number,only similar movement I see on Iwc and Rolex military watches.
    Does anyone know which brand is the lesson?
    Otherwise, both are super-hour preserved.

Re: Please help me with indentify this watch!

The broadarrow logo is not invariably military, it's a British marking meaning "Government property".

I've already seen in the book Military timepieces what this sign mean.All sign mean Contract number of Army issue wristwatch,c.1918.
    I need help with movement,who made it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Frustratingly, my copy of Wesolowski's "Military Timepieces" shows a picture of this movement (circa 1915, serial 203730) listed as a "Royal Artillery" issued watches. They simply describe it as a "Swiss movement of unknown origin". The one they show is a higher grade though, with screwed chatons and micro-metric regulator; yours would probably have been more "general purpose". Chances are, you'll need to have someone remove the dial to (at minimum) get a picture of the winding/setting piece. I'm inclined to think it's based on one of the Cortebert ebauches (the 522 is close in general layout) due to the design of the click, balance cock and lever cock, but can't find anything that's a closer match.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Well bloody duh. I knew this movement seemed familiar to me.
    Name:  Movement2.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  221.1 KB

This is the movement in one of my later "T. Eatons" pocket watches...later being probably post 1930. Eatons is a Canadian company, and most of their early pocket watches were custom manufactured for them by Gallet. Yours has many of the same design characteristics (like the the orientation of the balance jewel screws and location of the case retention screws) but not the Eatons specific regulator. I wonder if this was acquired for Canadian regiments, and if that's the significance of the "C" in the serial?

One thing I'm now very curious about; is this a negative set case? In my movement photo, that isn't a stem-locking screw you see up by the top of the movement, it's actually a set-locking screw. When screwed down, it prevents the watch from being switched to hand-setting mode, so you don't accidentally change the time when you're winding it. Actually, in mine the screw is missing, becuase it has a tendancy to get broken by people who don't understand what it is.
    Last edited by AbslomRob; June 10th, 2012 at 16:02.

Your engine is completely coincide with mine, except for balance, which is different.
    But how is the manufacturer of the mechanism could be canadian when both mechanisms writes swiss made​​?
    In my hour can be commissioned for the Canadian Forces, but the question is which mechanism is who he is a producer.
    By all mehanzam is the Swiss, whose only?

The manufacture is Gallet & Cie, a very old Swiss watch company. Like many Swiss watchmakers, they would frequently sell their products to retailers, who would market the watches under their own name. Gallet, unlike many, tended to produce extremely sterile movements (meaning they had no identifying marks), and they tend to be rather close-mouthed about their customers.

The only reasons I suspect a Canadian connection here is because I've only ever seen the particulars of these movements in watches made specifically for Eatons. That, combined with the "C" in the serial, makes me suspect that the watches were purchased by or for a Canadian based military group through Gallet's Canadian contacts. In the early days of WWII (and just before), the British didnt' have a lot of resources, and they scrambled a bit to equip. Remember, Canada didn't have its own armed forces until the 40's, so any Canadian troops would technically have been part of the British chain of command.

How cost watch like this?
    Is this expensive pocket military watch or bed.
    I hawe two in similar condition,looking very good,working good.Only for know because this watches is for my colection not for sale.
    Lp!

It looks to me like a fairly plain general purpose watch. So relative to other broad-arrow pocket watches, it would probably tend to towards the lower-middle end of the scale. Gallet's in general seem to be sell for good prices these days, but you only have my opinion that it's actually from Gallet, and while my confidence is high, it's not like you can tell other people that "AbslomRob says so". If you do some google/ebay searches on this type of watch, you'll get a good sense of what it's probably worth. Of course, with mililtaria, knowledge about the background and history of the specific watch can increase it's value; people like a good story.

Thank you for good information!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information