pocket watch back after months

Thread: pocket watch back after months

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

pocket watch back after months

bought this thomas russell a fair few months ago, kept it around as it was my first pocket watch, but thought better take it for repairs as the balance staff was broken. took it to a guy a fair few months ago to sort it out and service it. he said he would trace a part for it and asked if i was in a rush, i said no rush would just like it working. He found a part and said all work would cost £50 if willing to wait a bit longer , and he would fit it inbetween is other work (does work for shops around west yorkshire) so finally picked it up and thought i would finally share some pics, sorry about the pics need a cheap macro lens as kit lens no good. any info is more then welcomed and i know the minute hand is not the right one was told it should be straight.

Re: pocket watch back after months

Well £50 for a service and a new balance staff is very reasonable. I love the engraving on the ratchet wheel. Great result.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

"Tempus Fugit"

Latin; "Time Flies", right?
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good to have it working! Did you identify which swiss manufacturer made the movement? Thomas Russell & Son used quite a lot of imported swiss movevements in the 20th century. I assume the case is silver, what hallmarks are there to date it?
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

very happy its a working pocket watch now then a display pocket watch. forgot to ask what movement it was so if anybody can help me on this would be great, dont want to phone the guy been phoning loads to see when it will be ready. as for the case it just says silvernus what ever that means and a stamp of the same engraving on the rachet wheel. anybody know what silvernus means cant be silver, could it mean poormans silver lol

I have never heard the term silvernus, but if there are no hallmarks it is probably of the same meaning as silverine, silveroid and oresilver, which all look like silver but is made of nickel, copper and zinc. It was much more durable than silver, didn't scratch as easily and didn't oxidize, and was much cheaper to manufacture.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Hi, I'm new here I also have a Thomas Russell and Son pocket watch and am wondering if anyone can give me any info on it especially the movement
    ThanksName:  DSCF0777.JPG
Views: 808
Size:  1.45 MBName:  DSCF0786.JPG
Views: 909
Size:  1.52 MBName:  DSCF0778.JPG
Views: 643
Size:  1.50 MB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by stiggybarnes View Post
    Hi, I'm new here I also have a Thomas Russell and Son pocket watch and am wondering if anyone can give me any info on it especially the movement
    ThanksName:  DSCF0777.JPG
Views: 808
Size:  1.45 MBName:  DSCF0786.JPG
Views: 909
Size:  1.52 MBName:  DSCF0778.JPG
Views: 643
Size:  1.50 MB
    Can't help you with that one- it's probably English and my resources for English movements are practically nonexistent. The original poster, joeuk, has a Revue (Thommen) Cal. 30 in his watch:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Revue 30 Lepine

Hartmut Richter

Hi StiggyBarnes

your watch is hall marked Chester, 1900. It is a 7 jewel, English Going barrel - with a temperature compensated balance. It was made after the English watch industry switched to machine manufacture, although the decoration on the balance cock and other finishing would have be done by hand. It is possible it was made by the Ehrhardt or Rotherhams factory - my bet is on Rotherhams though as they stopped using the fitted dust covers earlier than Ehrhardt. You will likely find the maker's mark under the dial - so if you get it serviced, ask the watchmaker to ID or take a photo.

- Kris

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Looks like a Chester hallmark, which would make the case date to 1900, but you'd need to check the hallmark is indeed for Chester.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information