Pocket watch chains

Thread: Pocket watch chains

Pocket watch chains

Not normally an item to get really enthusiastic about , but lately I notice dealer prices for all sizes, types, ages, materials, indicate increased demand, or scarcity. Vulnerable to scrap gold sale also. I bought a modern one at antique sale for scrap value. 31/2 oz. 33 real nuggets. 14k otherwise. Nuggets are not 24k. Colorado placer gold nuggets are as low as 17k. However, they have a little extra gem stone like value. The famous Soapy Smith of gold rush Alaska had a 3 pound nugget watch chain. This modern one was done by an Alaskan nugget jewelry maker. Not too new, some oxidation on 14k pieces. Very neat nondestructive gold soldering to nuggets. There are hundreds of years of plain and ornate watch chains made of a great variety of materials. I expect forum members could show some interesting chains, fobs, etc. Sometimes old watches come with chains that are a nicer item and more valuable than the watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; May 18th, 2010 at 23:59. Reason: add

Re: Pocket watch chains

That's a very nice Double Albert, Artie.

My watch-chain is a very plain, 11-inch brass-linked Albert chain. Nothing fancy to drool over, but it's as strong as hell and has saved my watch many a trip to the maker, by stopping its suicide attempts.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

You bring up a good point. I would not hook this links soldered to nuggets chain to a 5 oz. silver 18 size. Maybe ok with a thin 12 size. I used pocket watches generally with a short thick leather loop around the belt. My father did the same with his many years of use Hamilton 992 rr. Appreciate knowing proper name for this chain style.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I tend to be a bit of a klutz, so the ability of the chain to stop a watch from crashing to the floor, is very important to me. And not something that I should trust to your particular chain! It looks rather...breakable. My chain is solid brass.

And yes, your chain is called a Double Albert, with a fob-drop (that dangly thing in the middle), the bigger brother of the single Albert chain, both of which were named after Prince Albert, wife of Queen Victoria.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information