Pocket watch for daily wear?

View Poll Results: Do you wear a pocket watch daily?

Voters
34. This poll is closed
  • Daily.

5 14.71%
  • Somtimes (~once a week).

10 29.41%
  • Rarely or never.

19 55.88%
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pocket watch for daily wear?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pocket watch for daily wear?

I'm curious about how many people (who own at least one pocket watch) wear a pocket watch on a daily basis. For the purpose of the pole, I think the "sometimes" option should mean at least one day week.

What kind of pocket watch do/would you use for this purpose?

I've been wearing one every day lately. It's a Molnija (Russian) Hunter case with 3602 movement. It's very affordable so I'm not too worried about it.
    After fiddling with the rate adjusty thing it's been under +10 a day for two days, which for my purpose is important for daily use. (I hope it stays that way).

Re: Pocket watch for daily wear?

Although my main interest is with pocketwatches, I had to vote rarely or never. I can't stand leaving the house without wearing a wristwatch, it feels completely wrong for me. And I do not want to wear two watches... At the rare occasions I wear a pocketwatch it will be one of my serviced US railroad grade watches such as Hamilton 936, 992, 992B, Elgin 540, or an old Waltham 1857 or 1883 just for the sake of having worn them at least once.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

nowhere, yet...everywhere. I am omnipresent!

Just a budget Ingersoll Reliance for me ;)

The special stuff stays indoors until the right occasions.
    ~not really that silent...bit of a boring, meandering, waffling, blathering blabber-mouth actually~ :D

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

These days, when I put on a pocket watch it's usually my 1948 Waltham Colonial R...it's small and thin, which is a bonus when I'm driving, and it's not particularily valuable, so I'm not paranoid about it. But it's still a nice looking watch.

On dressy occasions, its my Tissot (which is shock protected). And if I'm showing off, its my grandpa's Waltham 18s model '83.

There's a Benrus pocket watch I'm dying to add to the rotation, but I'm having trouble finding a balance staff for it :(
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Molnija or 24hr Raketa (as a sun-compass).

Recently acquired a Waltham 1883 low grade 7 jevel, and a Crescent street which is running remarkably accurate.

When someone is bragging (too much) about their new ipod, ipad or whatever, it is nice to look at the watch and then ask them what their i-something will be in +100 years.

nowhere, yet...everywhere. I am omnipresent!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    When someone is bragging (too much) about their new ipod, ipad or whatever, it is nice to look at the watch and then ask them what their i-something will be in +100 years.
    Wonderful!!! :D
    ~not really that silent...bit of a boring, meandering, waffling, blathering blabber-mouth actually~ :D

I use my molnija as well not daily but every once in a while.
    Buran Siberia (x2 black and white), Aviator Chrono II (poljot31681), Ferrari Jumbo Pit Crew,Alpha Jump Hour, MZI Skeleton, MKII Stingray,Elgin 18s,Agat stopwatch, Sturmanskie Sputnik,Raketa Pilot, Poljot Traveller,Tscheljabinsk military clock, Kirovskie Crab, Vostok Amphibia (tank dial), 3133 Strela replica, Alpha Jumphour Tank,Denissov Barracuda 31681,Laco B-Uhr type B, Stowa Antea KS

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cavallino33

Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.

I occasionally wear one. Usually when I know I'm going to be doing something boring (and not active), I bring my 4992b so I can stare at the works while I'm bored outta my mind. I'm scared to wear mine daily, just because I can't afford to replace them.

I will however wear a wrist watch and carry a pocket watch, as I can't stand to be without a wristwatch either.

Gomez adams wore two, each set to vastly different times, when asked the time, he would check both and average the two...

(I have the psudo salesman case for the 4992b)
    Last edited by Bleh; February 11th, 2010 at 18:30.
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |
    I got out of watches for a long time, but I'm coming back!

Ever since I bought my first vintage pocket watch a couple of years ago now, I've been wearing one literally every day of my life ever since. I just find them more comfortable and easier to read. I stopped wearing a wristwatch the day I got my pocket watches.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    Ever since I bought my first vintage pocket watch a couple of years ago now, I've been wearing one literally every day of my life ever since. I just find them more comfortable and easier to read. I stopped wearing a wristwatch the day I got my pocket watches.
    I salute you that, Shangas. I want to use my pocketwatches more. I especially bought a Hamilton 992B with a #15 stainless steel case because in my mind it would be the ultimate vintage pocketwatch able to withstand daily rough use. But then every day when I decide what watch to wear I end up with a wristwatch. Just because I feel naked without one. And I have too many nice wristwatches to choose among. I have tried to force myself to wear a pocketwatch only for a period of time, but I suppose old habits are difficult to turn around. I hope that does not leave me as a low level pocketwatch aficionado?
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information