Pocket Watch Experts: 18k Baume Keywind Help Needed...Baume Geneve B&L ?

Thread: Pocket Watch Experts: 18k Baume Keywind Help Needed...Baume Geneve B&L ?

Pocket Watch Experts: 18k Baume Keywind Help Needed...Baume Geneve B&L ?

The pics below are from a beautiful solid 18k Baume pocket watch I am getting ready to part with. It is obviously an early one before Baume became Baume&Mercier. The case, dust cover and movement are serial number matching. The thing I can't figure out is what the B&L under Baume Geneve on the movement means, who is B&L is? How many of these type early Baumes are there out there in 18k, I can't find any recently and don't want to sell it short. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Pocket Watch Experts: 18k Baume Keywind Help Needed...Baume Geneve B&L ?

Baume originally had an association with Longines, so possibly B&L comes from that. However, I am not certain that is a Longines movement. Cylinder escapement, possibly only 3 or 4 jewels.

Thanks for the help-I believe I read about the ties to Longines in the early days, but I don't think Longines ever used the hallmark B&L. Unless of coarse B&L stands for Baume & Longines. Just trying to compile as much info and opinions as possible.

I have had offers on it and don't know what's fair. What I do know is that as a collector, I hate when these get parted out for just gold weight. This isn't one of the millions of common Waltham or Elgins here, it's a 140 plus year old 18k Baume keywind...how many of these are left out there...2 maybe 3-
    Last edited by nikotek; January 13th, 2011 at 02:19. Reason: info

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Like it or not the movement is a low end movement. Most of the value of the piece is in the case, assuming it's solid gold. You need to know what the case weighs without the movement to arrive at a fair (to you) selling price. Hopefully you can find a buyer that wants to keep the watch intact.

Good advise-thanks. You would be correct in thinking gold weight is most of the value normally (16 grams solid 18k stripped) in this case. But this isn't one of the millions of junky elgins, walthams, or nameless makers and/or movements here. Seems 99% of all keywinds were unmarked low jewel units, I rarely ever see high end keywinds...ever. I would think a very early keywind Baume (with possible Longines ties) in solid 18k before they became Baume&Mercier with all matching serial numbers makes this a bit different and adds value. I'm sure they exist, but have only seen a handful ever and most were much later Baume&Mercier from the 1920's.

As an example, vintage respected brands like Omega's (because of the name and that they didn't make many pocket watches) always hold more value than a comparable no-name company right? Collecting pocket watches must be the exact opposite of what makes wristwatches collectible, I may be totally wrong.
    Thank you-

Thread Information