WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Pocket Watch Face/Dial Sizes?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  rich5665 
#1 ·
While searching ebay for a replacement face for an old pocket watch I have, I notice a few listings stating face sizes Example: "Size 18", Size 16" and so on. I also saw a few listed in metric example:"45 mm Diameter". Which is correct and how would I determine the correct size for my watch? As my Pocket watch has no brand name on the face or back, I'm looking for a sterile face very similar to what is already there.

#2 ·
American pocket watches were manufactured to certain set sizes (for the most part). This allowed the cases to be made independent of the movments and ensured that you could pretty much take any pocket watch movment and put it into any pocket watch case of the right size. Dials were designed to cover the entire front of the movement, and would be roughly the same diameter as the bottom plate of the watch. Details on the sizes here:
http://elginwatches.com/help/watch_sizes.html

Now having said that, it depends on the pocket watch. In the 20's, the manufactuers started making their own cases, and some created their own special size. The best example I can think of being the Waltham Colonial series.

European watches tended to use either the French Ligne or millimeter. Again, early watches would usually have the dial the same diameter as the watch plate, but as time went on (especially for wrist watches) the dial size became more a function of the case then the watch.

#3 ·
#4 ·
The watch is a size 16. I got a little brave today and took the movement out. It looks like the oil may have dried up. It was quite fun to partially disassemble the watch. It also gave me a chance to remove some of the dirt from the silveroid case, and clean the crystal which I believe may be glass. there are two small chips under the retaining ring and a scratch on the crystal. The dial appears to be metal and not ceramic. While re-assembling the watch the minute hand came off, I pressed it back into place using the ink well of a bic pen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.