Pocket watch from flea market - restoration?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Pocket watch from flea market - restoration?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pocket watch from flea market - restoration?

During my travels I came across this piece on a flea market. Got it for something like 5 bucks because of its very nice case and lovely patina on the dial.
    I don't know much about vintage watches, but I could guess that the dial and case are original, the hands... not sure? (they rusted anyhow I think?), and the movement, definitely not. Don't know what is this replacement, but it was crudely done, jamming the movement into the little holders inside, as you can see one of the screws is half-broken, holding the movement against it. That said, it actually winds up and works.

Name:  IMG_20170902_150222.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  1.49 MB
    Name:  IMG_20170902_150236.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  1.49 MB
    Name:  IMG_20170902_152048.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  2.81 MB
    Name:  IMG_20170902_150529.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  2.48 MB
    Name:  IMG_20170902_150410.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  2.69 MB
    Name:  IMG_20170902_150444.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  1.61 MB

My question is, can it be restored? Should it be? Maybe finding a more authentic mechanism for it? Lastly, perhaps it would be possible to make a marriage watch out of it?..
    And, does anyone know someone on here (or an online watchmaker who operates through eBay or so) who would make this?
    I took it to a vintage watchmaker/seller here in Zurich, and of course the **** looked at me like I was insulting his family.
    MarkMarkH likes this.
    "My complication had a little complication." (c)

Re: Pocket watch from flea market - restoration?

If you have deep pockets and there're overflowing; sure.

Thats the screws that hold the dials feet to the movement. One is broken though and its kind of a common problem on this type of system. The watch might be original.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Will obviously need a service and a new crystal. If no parts need replacing, I don't think that it'll be much of a problem, or that it'll be costly. The only real problem will be finding a new bow.
    SilkeN and MisterV like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thanks. Can anyone tell if the hands are genuine? And what kind of movement is that actually - a Chinese copy would be the correct guess?

Also, are there any watchmakers that are known of online that would take a look at this? I would at least get in touch with him for a quote, pay for shipping and so on.
    Also asking because I would have less snobbery issues outside Switzerland, and likely lower prices as well.
    Last edited by MisterV; September 3rd, 2017 at 00:58.

Chinese?! Where did you get that idea...?

It's definitely Swiss. The barrel bridge and click design remind me of Cortebert movements, the hairspring stud carrier looks similar to the ones found in the Cortebert 51X family of movements. The balance cock shape doesn't match, though - and neither does the location of the screws by the crown wheel, including the stem release screw.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    . . . . . The only real problem will be finding a new bow.
    Mr. V: There's a sticky in f6 that lists dozens of sources for your bow.

. . . . including the stem release screw.
    To those interested in developing their horological vocabulary: The screw that releases the stem has a proper name and that is "setting lever screw".
    Courtesy of ULF.

Chinese?! Where did you get that idea...?

It's definitely Swiss. The barrel bridge and click design remind me of Cortebert movements, the hairspring stud carrier looks similar to the ones found in the Cortebert 51X family of movements. The balance cock shape doesn't match, though - and neither does the location of the screws by the crown wheel, including the stem release screw.
    Because I wouldn't expect to find an actual Swiss movement in an old pocket watch bought for 5 bucks at a flea market in Armenia?
    The movement looks very new and has clearly been jammed into the watch by someone who just wanted it to run (as someone pointed out there, those little feet are half-broken) in order to sell it, most likely. I mean, it's great if it's Swiss, I bought it fully expecting a Chinese copy.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    Mr. V: There's a sticky in f6 that lists dozens of sources for your bow.

To those interested in developing their horological vocabulary: The screw that releases the stem has a proper name and that is "setting lever screw".
    Thank you for the tip. I assume then i have to crosspost on f6 for advice on watchmakers.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    Lastly, perhaps it would be possible to make a marriage watch out of it?...
    Do you mean by 'marriage watch' to turn it into a wristwatch?

Please don't. There are plenty of that sort of thing that you can buy new. What you have here is a gorgeous Art Deco decorated case with hands that, original or not, are an excellent aesthetic match. Why not enjoy it for what it is?
    MisterV likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    I have always called it the "detent screw."

In any case, there's no question that this is a Swiss movement. Swiss hasn't always been synonymous with faerie dust being sprinkled on movements. This comes from a time when-by and large-the Swiss industry was having their rears handed to them by American makers except at the very highest end.

I've seen some real junk from Switzerland. The watch you have is a nice quality Swiss lever, but not a Patek level movement by a long shot.
    MisterV and Paul_S like this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information