Pocket Watch Gurus.. Need help identifying Waltham Pocket Watch

Thread: Pocket Watch Gurus.. Need help identifying Waltham Pocket Watch

Pocket Watch Gurus.. Need help identifying Waltham Pocket Watch

Hello! Inherited a Waltham that has been in the family for many many years. The only markings I can see on the dial are "Waltham" and inside the back case on the foldout piece the numbers "6155565"

It still keeps time when wound. On the dial side to the left of the roman numeral IX it looks like perhaps there was another cover but it's missing You can see in the pictures that there is what looks like a hinge.

Lastly I have no idea how to open the back. It doesn't appear the back piece "unscrews" and everything looks pretty well sealed shut. I know the serial number is located near the inner workings but as stated I have NO CLUE how to take the backing off.

I really want to know if it's worth the cost/time to have this piece professionally restored. I have no idea how much it would cost to repair.

Any information you can provide I would be super appreciative. I am very interested in the history of this watch.

Here is a link to a few pictures I took: Photo Album - Imgur

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Pocket Watch Gurus.. Need help identifying Waltham Pocket Watch

Looks to me like a 6 size watch with probably somewhere between 7 and 15 jewels. You are correct that there was once another cover over the front that has been lost.

The inner back cover should be hinged like the outer back cover.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Re: Pocket Watch Gurus.. Need help identifying Waltham Pocket Watch

Thanks Ben. Got this sucker opened. It's a BandB Royal 20 year case.
    serial number 15569763.

From what I found looks like a size 16, 15 jewels. Made roughly somewhere around the 1899 region.

no idea if its worth getting it all fixed up. If anyone has any additional info they can share that would be awesome.
    Last edited by mansell; October 26th, 2013 at 06:02.

Thread Information