Pocket watch Id?

Thread: Pocket watch Id?

Pocket watch Id?

It's an old family heirloom wondering if anyone knew any info on it. The face says "American Waltham" and the cover back says "Keystone watch case 2482251".

Re: Pocket watch Id?

Thanks for posting. We can help you but we need to have the serial number off the movement. Read our sticky note on Watch IDs.
    The case serial number is for the case manufacturer (in this instance it's Keystone) and is useless for IDing the watch.
    Just as a guess I'd say 1895-1905 but I'd have to see the serial number off the movement to be sure. It's a hunter model in a gold-filled case.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hunter-cased lady's pendant watch made sometime before 1920, that's all I can say. Is it a very small watch? A gentleman's watch is usually very large. If you can open the back case of the watch, you will find (or SHOULD FIND) a serial-number engraved on the movement. Give us the number and we can tell you how old it is.

Check the back cover for the following:

Hinges, seams, lips.

Hinge, seam & lip - Hinged snap-on cover. Open the watch carefully at the lip and hinge the cover open.

Seam and lip but no hinge - Snap-on cover. Open the watch at the lip and slowly lever the cover off with a small flathead screwdriver.

Seam but with no hinge or lip - Screw-on cover. Remove cover by twisting in anticlockwise direction like opening a jar.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah I kind of thought I would need to open it but I'm a bit paranoid about it.

It is pretty small. It was my grandmothers, but someone in the family handed it down to her so I'm not sure when it originated.
    Last edited by cavallino33; October 8th, 2008 at 05:02.

Until we get the serial-number, we won't be able to tell you much more than what we've already posted. You could send the watch to a watchmaker and have him open it for you.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Yeah I understand.

The thing is the watch still belongs to my mom. When I was over there this weekend we were talking about it and I mentioned maybe I could find out more about it here. However she didn't really even want to take it out of its glass case let alone open it up so. I wouldn't feel comfortable anyway since its not mine and it clearly has a sentimental value.

All I really wanted to know was a general idea of how old it was as which I got so. Thanks!

General idea would be late 19th, early 20th century, but without a number that's all we could say. Sorry.

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information