Pocket Watch Identfication

Thread: Pocket Watch Identfication

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pocket Watch Identfication

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard...ronometre.html

Perhaps identification is a very long-shot. But anyway, what generaly can you say about this watch?

Obviously a Swiss movement and not expensive when bought. What about the fact that the language is English on the watch is "Nickel Chrome" (on inner of watch back), and "Swiss Made" on movement.

What about the fact that it says "Chronometre" on the dial and below it "ROMEL" or "ROMEO"?

When was it made?

What kind of movement is it?

Would it be easy to get a front bezel for this watch (not necessarily the exact same as it had)?

Any other place on the watch where there will be information?

Anthying else that can be noted? Like, who was it made for etc, etc. Thanks.

Re: Pocket Watch Identfication

Its art-deco style watch,made probably in 1930s.Its not in good shape,and finding a missing front bezel could be a real challenge.For iding a movement try dr.Ranfft's pages.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by richard8995 View Post
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard...ronometre.html

Perhaps identification is a very long-shot. But anyway, what generaly can you say about this watch?

Obviously a Swiss movement and not expensive when bought. What about the fact that the language is English on the watch is "Nickel Chrome" (on inner of watch back), and "Swiss Made" on movement.

What about the fact that it says "Chronometre" on the dial and below it "ROMEL" or "ROMEO"?

When was it made?

What kind of movement is it?

Would it be easy to get a front bezel for this watch (not necessarily the exact same as it had)?

Any other place on the watch where there will be information?

Anthying else that can be noted? Like, who was it made for etc, etc. Thanks.
    I found another Romeo on everbody's favorite auction site. It uses a similar movement also marked 10 jewels. Yours is marked 10 Rubis which may indicate it is earlier or destined for another market. I find it difficult to believe that a 10 jewel movement would have been certified as a chronometer regardless of what the dial says. Roland Ranfft may have more information on this.

The nickel chrome notation indicates that at least the case was made of a nickel chrome alloy. That alloy is very durable and commonly found in watches.

The watch is in poor shape and in my opinion it would not make financial sense to restore it. Parts will be difficult if not imposible to find. If it belonged to a family member or someone close to you I would leave it as is and document everything you know about the watch. If it is simply a watch you are considering purchasing my recommendation would be to pass.

Last edited by John MS; June 29th, 2010 at 15:13.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow, I've been looking on-and-off and never found pictures of a similar watch. Thanks. The watch is in my possession, it's been in the house for ages. Probably belonged to a Polish friend of my father.

Is the watch movement on Dr. Ranfft's website? I've been there looking for Romeo, but I found nothing.

A search may have returned:

4: 971301 5: 768741 6: 550867

Whatever this means.

Wow, I've been looking on-and-off and never found pictures of a similar watch. Thanks. The watch is in my possession, it's been in the house for ages. Probably belonged to a Polish friend of my father.

Is the watch movement on Dr. Ranfft's website? I've been there looking for Romeo, but I found nothing.

A search may have returned:

4: 971301 5: 768741 6: 550867

Whatever this means.
    Send Roland Ranfft an email through Watchuseek and include a link to this thread.

The movement was likely made for a company that sold watches under the name Romeo.

Since the watch is in your family I would suggest that you write down everything you and other family members know about the watch, your fathers friend, the activities your father and his friend might have been involved in, etc. Put it all on paper and include it with the watch. Don't restore the watch, but leave it as is, representing a very long life and connection to your family.
    Last edited by John MS; June 29th, 2010 at 16:26.

This numbering on this dial is the same as what is on my ROMEO watch.

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1235087068

From WWW: "BWC (Buttes Watch Co.) was founded in 1920 by Artur Charlet in Buttes, Switzerland (near Neuenburger), and made mostly steel pocket watches until 1930, when most production was switched to wrist watches."

Was my pocket watch made by Buttes Watch Co.?

This numbering on this dial is the same as what is on my ROMEO watch.

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1235087068

From WWW: "BWC (Buttes Watch Co.) was founded in 1920 by Artur Charlet in Buttes, Switzerland (near Neuenburger), and made mostly steel pocket watches until 1930, when most production was switched to wrist watches."

Was my pocket watch made by Buttes Watch Co.?
    These watches seem to have a commmon heritage and they led a long hard life. I found a Buttes from Ebayland shown below. I suspect that one company was producing the cased up watches for several brands. I know next to nothing about BWC - were they large enough to have manufactured their own movements way back then?

Which movement does your watch have.

Thanks, John

Were getting closer on this watch. I have no idea of the movement type or who made it or anything. I'm trying to find a front bezel so I could restore it.

Here is my particular watch:

This could be "Roamer",but I'm not sure.There are some similarities with MST movements.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

I know a bit about the Buttes Watch Co. They're still in business but are now located in Phosheim Germany. They had their own brands such as BWC and Butex but mostly they made complete watchs for the trade. I don't think that they ever made their own movements, the Butex I own, has a FHF movement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information