Pocket Watch Identification Help Please

Thread: Pocket Watch Identification Help Please

Pocket Watch Identification Help Please

I've stumbled across this old pocket watch that was my Grandfather's, which I believed was handed down to him by his Father. Below are the photos of what I have, and the words on it. Any info that can be given on this would be greatly appreciated!

In the fourth photo: "ECHAPPEMENT CYLINDRE HUIT TROUS EN RUBIS"

In the fifth photo it says what appears to be: "FRANCE RETARD"

Name:  IMG_0412.jpg
Views: 1652
Size:  47.4 KBName:  IMG_0413.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  41.6 KBName:  IMG_0414.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  43.9 KBName:  IMG_0415.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  42.4 KBName:  IMG_0416.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  58.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Pocket Watch Identification Help Please

If larger photos are needed please let me know specifically which ones and I can adjust and re-post. Thanks!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to Watchuseek. The last photo does not say "France retard" (which might be interpreted in a slightly personal way by some of the french members of this forum?!!) but rather "Avance" and "Retard", meaning "forward" and "backward". You push the lever between the two to make the watch go faster or slower, i.e. regulate the timing.

You have a low to medium quality Swiss cylindre escapement watch with eight jewels (rubies - "huit...rubis") to lower friction. Ten is the maximum for this sort of movement and four the minimum. The watch is key set and wound so it dates to ca. 1860-1890. Earlier dates are quite possible but then the bridge layout on the movement would probably be different.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you very much for the information, it's greatly appreciated! From the estimated dates it sounds like it would fall right in line with being hand down from Great Grandfather. I certainly do not want to get rid of the watch, however do you have any idea of what would be an estimated value for something similar to this?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I am sorry but we don't give valuations here for a variety of reasons; I would say, however, that it won't be worth terribly much. For one thing, the mechanism is too simple, for another thing, despite its age, there are still too many of them around, for a third thing, few people really want them (partly because they are hardly worn any more). It is worth far more to you since it is an heirloom. Hunt around eBay or similar places for similar watches (cylindre escapement, mid to late 19th century) and see what they go for.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information