pocket watch key advice please

Thread: pocket watch key advice please

pocket watch key advice please

hello everyone I'm new here and to watches i know noting about them anyway i bought a pocket watch on ebay for my mother for Christmas it's a j g graves do i need a key for it and are pocket watch keys universal if not what size of key do need thanks

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: pocket watch key advice please

Welcome to the Vintage forum. The watch should have a ring at the top at the end of a stem to affix a chain to keep it safe in your waistcoat or trouser pocket. If there is a rotating crown inside the ring (just like on the edge of a modern wrist watch), you don't need a key. If no crown, if you open the outer back cover, there should be two holes in the inner cover which you stick a key in - one for winding, the other for setting the time.

Hartmut Richter

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Not a name I recognize-it could be a generic Swiss movement or a private label American.

Pocket watch keys come in standard sizes. The most common ones for American watches in my experience are #4 and #5(larger numbers are smaller sizes).

There are Ebay sellers who will sell you a set of keys from size #00 to #14-these are relatively inexpensive and probably the best option if you don't know what size you need.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thanks for your help is the keys from 00 to 14 all the keys you get for a pocket watch and here's a bit of info on j g graves John George Graves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thread Information