Pocket watch for my father
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Pocket watch for my father

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pocket watch for my father

Hi everyone,

I want to buy my father a pocket watch for Christmas. Any recommendations?

These are my requirements:

* Price: No more than 200 EUR (can go a bit up, but not much)
    * Mechanical
    * Available in Germany (locally or shipped)

I ordered a Kienzle K7123331220-00217 from Amazon but returned as I was deeply disappointed about the quality. The watch arrived scratched and the gold colour was completely gone.

Many thanks in advance!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Pocket watch for my father

Welcome to Watchuseek. I fear that you are striving for "die Quadratur des Kreises" (a way to make a circle square, for those who don't know German). 200 Euros is simply too little unless you accept a quartz PW. If you want a mechanical one, there is one for ca. 450 Euros (from Aerowatch) in my home town in the watch vendor/jeweller/optician store. Normally, I would advise you to try for a vintage PW on eBay. A decent one (e.g. Zenith, Omega, Longines) with a silver case should be available for 200 Euros or less but you almost always have to factor in the service costs which should amount to another 100. Running a mechanical watch that hasn't seen a service in ten years or so is a prime way to destruction, plus the watch will run but not very well, so you won't get around that if you want a serious present. That would push you up to 300 Euros and you might get lucky and find one cheaper so you can get closer to your 200. However, you need to know what you are doing to a certain extent so it is a little bit of a risky strategy for the complete novice.

Good luck!

Hartmut Richter

I do not really understand your intentions and the mention of a manufacturer and a specific, popular product, which is generally well assessed. You ordered a watch from Amazon, which came scratched with the color completely gone. 'Deeply disappointed about the quality'. You have been disappointed by the state it was in when it arrived. This was simply a delivery of a product, damaged or mistreated somewhere. It certainly did not leave the factory in this state and certainly things did not get scratched or have fallen off in storage or in the mail. So it's an Amazon problem, more than anything else, and Amazon has excellent and highly effective return procedures.

What do you mean by 'color' and where did it come off? Are you talking about any color on the dial or the gold plating of the case or the crown? Everything, painted or plated in gold, was completely gone? Where did it go? I must have been all over in the package if that is a quality problem right from the factory.

Leaving this aside, you are really in a price range where you cannot expect too much. A vitage watch as a gift, more than a piece in a collection, is really something that must work properly and definitively needs a service prior to handover to the recipient.

There are some recommendations one could make also at a lower price level, where the quality should be right within reasonable limits, but any recommendation bears again the danger of the goods arriving in bad shape, outside the responsibility of the manufacturer.

'Available in Germany' / shipment to Germany, will involve shipping cost and eventually customs duty of whatever level, difficult to say for the many variations possible.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; November 19th, 2015 at 20:45.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Are you looking for a new watch? Then this isn't really the place to ask.

You could get a late 80's mechanical Zenith for this price. They used Unitas movements in these so parts are easy to find as they are made to this day under the ETA name.
    Last edited by Shum; November 19th, 2015 at 20:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    Are you looking for a new watch? Then this isn't really the place to ask.

You could get a late 80's mechanical Zenith for this price. They used Unitas movements in these so parts are easy to find as they are made to this day under the ETA name.
    I don't know if the initial posting was more a question or predominantly a statement about a certain product.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; November 19th, 2015 at 21:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    I don't know if the initial posting was more a question or predominantly a statement about a certain product.
    I can only answer in vintage terms as I know next to nothing about modern watches.

Border-Reiver,
    The reason why I'm disappointed is that the watch is a 2012 model and the amount of wear I could see on it made me think that is not a very good quality. The watch was originally bi-colour and now is completely silver colour.
    I have no complains about Amazon service, they returned me the money immediately :)
    I'm inclined to buy a new watch, as I'm not an expert on vintage pieces I think it might be too risky for a gift.
    I saw some Dugena watches on my price range, is this something I should consider?

Quote Originally Posted by Jovenhans View Post
    Border-Reiver,
    The reason why I'm disappointed is that the watch is a 2012 model and the amount of wear I could see on it made me think that is not a very good quality. The watch was originally bi-colour and now is completely silver colour.
    I have no complains about Amazon service, they returned me the money immediately :)
    I'm inclined to buy a new watch, as I'm not an expert on vintage pieces I think it might be too risky for a gift.
    I saw some Dugena watches on my price range, is this something I should consider?
    As it has been mentioned before, this is the wrong forum for your question as we deal with vintage (minimum 20 years or older) watches. I would not recommend a vintage watch (which would be an alternative to be discussed here) and you are inclined to buy a new one anyway. The specific Kienzle watch (which I know by chance, although I am not buying or collecting new pocket watches), is really not that bad, but I can understand your aversion, I think alike when I buy a new product which came in bad state (often they are customer returns which are sold again without checking), I have a bad feeling although knowing there was nothing wrong with the product in general.

I suggest you to look around in the forums index to see where to go best. I cannot make a recommendation as I never have been in one of the forums for new pocket- or wrist watches. Good luck, Christmas is coming soon!

Dugena was a good brand once but the current brand has nothing to do with the old brand. They came under new ownership in Germany a few years ago but I don't know what's inside them.
    Last edited by Shum; November 19th, 2015 at 21:50.

If you really want to buy a pocket watch, buy a vintage one, and I can only give a +1 to the three brands that Hartmut mentioned- Zenith, Longines and Omega. All three brands used to occupy the very top of the tables of results at chronometre competitions. The modern stuff is nothing special, and the only modern PW which doesn't cost a fortune (though still well above your budget), that being the Longines Heritage Lepine, has recently been discontinued.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information