Pocket Watch Questions
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Pocket Watch Questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pocket Watch Questions

Hi,
    I was in the loft today and came across a pocket watch by Kendall & Dent. This used to belong to my now deceased father-in-law and I have seen it before but forgot all about it . In the last year I have got into watches but spend most my time on the Russian forum. We did take this a few years ago to a jewellers who said ,I now know wrongly, that it needed a new stem in the top , they had sent it away but an "expert" said it was no good. They even offered us £20 for it,which we declined and left it.
    So my questions:

What is it made of?
    Am I right in thinking it has a Swiss movement?
    Are the two things where I assume you use a key (not a stem) , one to wind it and one to set it?
    I have seen other Kendall watches but made in London not Buren, is this the same company?
    Is it worth having it serviced before winding it, if I can find a key to fit it ?

Thanks for any help.

Name:  SAM_0038.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  1.11 MBName:  SAM_0039.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  237.4 KBName:  SAM_0041.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  87.8 KBName:  SAM_0042.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  87.5 KBName:  SAM_0047.JPG
Size:  773.9 KBName:  SAM_0048.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  55.2 KBName:  SAM_0049.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  1.12 MBName:  SAM_0050.JPG
Size:  1.09 MB
    Last edited by kev80e; February 9th, 2015 at 19:29.
    ​I'm afraid one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.

Re: Pocket Watch Questions

Kendal and Dent was a big seller and at the end of the 19 century you can find a lot of swiss movements in their cases. The Hallmarks are swiss also ..nothing looks like tinker and therefore its a Buren / Büren watch&Co swiss product and sold by Kendal and Dent. This swiss company was owned by H. Williamson Ltd. London since 1898 and has traditional strong connections to "the island". It's a less jewel cylinder escapement and you can't expect a perfect time keeping but to get a key is more than easy. Just look in the bay the first example I find in UK Set Of 14 Pocket / Fob Watch Keys Sizes 00-12 Tools Winder On Key Chain | eBay .
    It's not a expensive watch but in a good condition...Stem ???...you mean the pendant ? or the Opener Pid ? ...and a family watch. I don't know the prize especially for a reseller but please don't give it away for a pizza with coke.

Kind regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Thanks SilkeN. Very interesting. Will get a key and see if it works. If anybody can enlighten me as to what two winders do I would be grateful. Also how do I get to the movement?
    ​I'm afraid one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some helpful tips here for the newbie.........................Renaissance Watch Repair - Vintage and Antique Watch "How To" Pages
    kev80e likes this.
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

Thanks Apollonaught just what I needed, I can stop budding you guys now. Just about to send a couple of watches of for minor repairs so may send this too for a service if it works when the keys arrive.

As usual WUS knows the answers. I now know that the hallmarks put between 1882 and 1934 . I assume the key directly behind the hands sets it and the other winds it. Cannot get to the movement without undoing screws I think which is a shame but I don't really fancy taking it to bits, just broke a hairspring refitting a stem on a Vostok as I am a bit heavy handed.
    Nice to know it has a chance after being given wrong info at jewellers who to try and make it clearer what I was told said it was missing its winder in the top like a top winder which was obviously very wrong. Won't be using them again for anything.
    Last edited by kev80e; February 10th, 2015 at 10:51.

When it comes to vintage some jewelers don`t know their elbows from what they are sitting on,anyway, glad to hear you plan to give it a new lease of life.
    If all goes well an update to this thread would be a bonus,we all like happy endings here.

Cheers,
    AP

Yes,centre hole for setting time,other for winding.
    Btw,don`t feel to bad about mangeling a hairspring,i have a collection of these myself,all part of the learning curve.
    Last edited by Apollonaught; February 10th, 2015 at 15:41.
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

Got a key today and the hands turn but when I tried to wind it it also turns the hands and makes a noise like something slipping inside. Will take it to a watch repair guy I know when I get time. Hopefully not to serious , would like to get it working for my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonaught View Post
    Some helpful tips here for the newbie.........................Renaissance Watch Repair - Vintage and Antique Watch "How To" Pages
    Great link, Apollonaught. Thank you! Here in the states, we don't have a lot of experience with Europe's many watch makers of past and I'm just getting in to the genera.
    Apollonaught likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kev80e View Post
    Got a key today and the hands turn but when I tried to wind it it also turns the hands and makes a noise like something slipping inside. Will take it to a watch repair guy I know when I get time. Hopefully not to serious , would like to get it working for my wife.
    Hmmmm..................sounds like the motion works are sticking.........I`m sure your watchmaker will sus whats wrong or right with it though.
    @Gotwatch...yes,it`s a great web site with lots of info,cheers.
    kev80e likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information