Pocket watch recommendations - exhibition case back but on a vintage?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gumby992
  • 1 Post By artb

Thread: Pocket watch recommendations - exhibition case back but on a vintage?

Pocket watch recommendations - exhibition case back but on a vintage?

Hello all

Please forgive any newbie-ness in this post, I'm 100% new to the world of pocket watches!

I'm getting married next year, and the other half has mentioned about getting me a pocket watch as a wedding gift. I quite like this idea (would maybe prefer a mechanical chrono wrist watch but what I want doesn't seem to exist, at least in our budget!). I love mechanical watches, but I do like to be able to see the mechanisms. This is where it gets a bit tricky...

...I've seen various Chinese and modern pocket watches for sale on the internet that are skeleton watches, very decorated...but cheap looking (to me at least). I think I'd prefer something either a bit better made and less cheap looking, or vintage.

My perfect pocket watch would be something silver (or at least not "gold coloured"). Double Half hunter (or at least not a full hunter - I want to be able to conveniently see things). The problem I've come across in my very limited research is that it seems to me that a lot of the watches with nice movements aren't double hunters. Those that are, seem to have slightly boring backs to the movements. I've seen a lot of quite nicely decorated railroad watch movements, but the backs are more secure for practical purposes.

As such I was wondering if anyone could recommend any particular brands, sellers, "terms" to look for that might be more up my alley in terms of what I am after? Thank you all.

Re: Pocket watch recommendations - exhibition case back but on a vintage?

A possibility is vintage "salesman's" pocket watch cases. These were glass backed cases designed to allow the movement to be displayed - in effect the equivalent of display backs on modern watches. You could look for salesman's display back cases either on a watch or by themselves, in which case you'd then need the correct movement/dial to be fitted. Such salesman's cases show up quite regularly on eBay, either on a watch or separately. I have a Hamilton Grade 992 in a Hamilton-marked salesman's case with thick beveled glass crystals both sides. It does add some novelty to the piece.
    Last edited by Gumby992; September 28th, 2014 at 14:02.
    SilkeN likes this.

As gumy992 told just look for american pocket watches. I've never seen a "salesman" halfhunter but very good watches with "face/back" sightable. You won't find european watches.

KInd regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i have many pocket watches U.S. and not with glass backs. Many from NAWCC member and fine watchmaker Bill Tapp who skillfully makes them.. My preferred case except an original. artb
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; September 29th, 2014 at 05:22.
    Paleotime likes this.

Thread Information