pocket watch under $30-50? new guy ! ! !

Thread: pocket watch under $30-50? new guy ! ! !

Question pocket watch under $30-50? new guy ! ! !

ok i am looking for a pocket watch as i can't wear a wrist watch... i only had one a gift from grandfather but do not want to break a pocket watch that is older then i am...

would like a longer chain and date.... am-pm would be kool but not need for a work watch

any ideas??

Re: pocket watch under $30-50? new guy ! ! !

At that price range I would look for used quartz pocket watches on eBay. If they work at all they will just keep working.

I do not think you can get a working mechanical for anywhere near your price range... even if you could buy one for that, the service would be several times what you want to pay.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hey Dismuke,

for $50, you're basically looking at a cheap quartz pocket watch and chain. They keep good time but they lack the charm of an antique and their construction can be questionable. In fact, you can buy a mechanical pocket watch for that money, but it definitely will not last. At that price-range, stick to quartz. If you can pump up the price to about $100, then there are some fairly good-quality mechanical watches that you can buy, but at your range, I think they'll remain out of reach.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Question Re: pocket watch under $30-50? new guy ! ! !

what brand names are good at that price

It won't matter at $50 if it's quartz. You might also look for some used Russian Molnija models. They are mechanical but nothing special. There are also some cheap Chinese skeleton pocket watches out there but again they may cost more than $50.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

At one time my local Walmart sold Chinese made pocket watches for 30-40 dollars. Also Russian Molnija pocket watches were available for $50, but they seem to have dried-up. They may have gone out of business. If you can find one get it, as in my experience, they are poorly finished, but keep good time. Stores like Target have Chinese made quartz pocket watches for about $20, but you get what you pay for.

Too bad the American Dollar watch went the way of the DODO in the 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    At one time my local Walmart sold Chinese made pocket watches for 30-40 dollars. Also Russian Molnija pocket watches were available for $50, but they seem to have dried-up. They may have gone out of business. If you can find one get it, as in my experience, they are poorly finished, but keep good time. Stores like Target have Chinese made quartz pocket watches for about $20, but you get what you pay for.

Too bad the American Dollar watch went the way of the DODO in the 1960s.
    Check Solod.com

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

ebay, and probably your local fleamarket, are full of Chinese pocket watches in that price range. These are basically the spiritual descendents of the Hong Kong 'Swiss Parts' watches of old days, but now with generic Japanese quartz or Chinese Standard wind-up movements. Quality control is all over the place at that price point, but I still think you're on the right track to get something cheap to see how a pocket watch feels for everyday use. If you want one with date, then you'd most likely be getting quartz; maybe one of the cheaper Swiss Ronda movement ones.

However if your intention is to eventually graduate to a better quality vintage item, such as your grandfather's watch, then I would recommend a Russian Molnija or a Chinese mechanical to gain experience of winding daily and avoiding hard knocks.

Regarding the length of chain; basically you get what you're given. Buy for the watch, not the chain, which you can always upgrade at your local jewellers.

Another consideration is the format of the watch; open face or 'hunter' (with a lid). Which one would suit you better? Hunters protect the glass so they take the knocks better, however they can be less dust-proof due to the lid catch. Also if you're buying a hunter, for ease of use make sure the crown is aligned with 3 o'clock, not 12.

For a T-bar chain (single Albert), I always reckoned a good length was between nine and twelve inches. And perhaps fourteen to fifteen inches for a ring-clip or belt-hook chain.

I always thought a hunter-case pocket watch was nicer & more fancy, but in retrospect, I agree with Chascomm and that an open-face watch is not only more practical, but gives you less things to worry about mechanically.

Not that I'm gonna try it out or anything, but how bad a jolt can a pocket watch sustain and not get damaged by?
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Probably not much at all. No shock protection on the old watches and the balance staff is most vulnerable to breakage. I'd say minimal impulse tolerance. Maybe a bit of shaking but no hard knocks.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information