WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Pocket watch on the wrist?

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  LandauV 
#1 ·
Hello, everyone! This time I'd like to address to a sort of technical issue. I'm growing more and more interested in pocket watches. Many specimens feature beautifully finished movements, much superior to what we usually see in modern wristwatches. Besides, frequently they're offered in the market at very attractive prices, since these pieces rarely draw any attention from the general public.

The question I'd like to present you is this: there are some straps specially made for pocket watches, which allow them to be weared as wristwatches. Since pocket watches were not meant to be weared this way, are there any problems resulting from the conversion of such a piece into a wristwatch? In particular, does it affect the piece's precision?

Additionally, I'd appreciate some input on the maintenance of these pieces. I imagine it must be sort of difficult to find parts for some pocket watches. If some of you have experience with that, I'd be glad if you shared.

#2 · (Edited)
It shouldn't really affect the precision, but the inherent size and lack of shock protection in most keep me from doing it.
They're too big a target for me; one good blow and they're toast.

But if you are not as clumsy as I am, you should have no problem,
the shock protection is completely irrelevant.

#4 ·
It shouldn't really affect the precision, but the inherent size and lack of shock protection in most keep me from doing it.
They're too big a target for me; one good blow and they're toast.
Not quite sure why the matter of shock protection comes up every single time the issue of a wearing a pocket watch (or wristwatch with a PW movement) on the wrist is being discussed. A non-shockproof wristwatch with a perfectly wristwatch-intended movement also can have the balance staff pivots broken with one proper shock.
Besides, PW movements were and are being used in wristwatches - an example from the past would be the B-Uhr for the Luftwaffe, and in terms of contemporary stuff, every single watch with a Unitas 6497 or 6498.

#3 ·
A leather wristlet, or sort of an adapter/metal holder on a strap. You can get either of these on eBay, or you can have a wristlet made to measure.

#5 ·
Rather than wearing a huge PW on your wrist. Look for somewhat smaller womens models in standard (rather than fancy) cases

Can do an Google search on "leather pocket watch wrist straps" which will bring up a maker of these.

Not sure if he only makes certain sizes or can adapt to a variety of.

DON

#6 ·
There are all kinds. And they are not all modern either; was a concept that dates back to WWI trench watches.

It is usually best to wear a women's pocket watch this way; as men's are usually still too big.

Reactions: Michael Maddan
#8 ·
I would also say that it's less down to whether the watch has shock proofing (wrist watches lacked that up to the mid 1950s when fairly well the last of them got that feature) than the size. Huge watches have hige balances and a jolt will bust the balance staff rather easier when that has a massive weight attached to it. On top of that, despite the dictate of modern fashion, wrists weren't really meant to have plate sized watches attached to them. The bottom line is that older ladies' pendant watches serve better for the purpose of strapping them on to the wrist than gents' pocket watches. The drawback is that many are adorned in a feminine sort of way (as one might expect) so that you have at least something elegant and decorative but almost never something utilitarian looking on the wrist.

Hartmut Richter

#10 ·
We agree size matters, the bigger the movement, the bigger the balance wheel and the bigger the mass. That said even smaller pocket watches the staff snaps off on a ground fall.
As far a wristwatch protection, well INCABLOC was 1933, and by the during the 40s, it became pretty established, it was already a required specification for WWII wristwatches.

And early wristwatches from circa WWI are very prone to broken staffs if dropped
adam

Reactions: marks55
#12 · (Edited)
Despite the fact that I personally don't wear a pocket watches on the wrist, since it is aesthetically unacceptable for me, I have a relatively great experience with mariages – converted watches with pocket watch movements. I have a watches with different high class movements, including Lange and Patek. They are all without shockproof device and pretty large in size 47-50 MM.
I have never had a problem with the fall of such a watches , since they are all on the straps and I wear them carefully. In case of pocket watch attached to the different wrist devices there are much higher risks to drop the watch on the floor.
I have had problems with the accuracy of these watches in the first place in connection with the magnetization of the balance spring, which happened quite often. But this problem is easily solved by any watchmaker relatively inexpensive.
Such a watches for daily use require regular maintenance, more often than a modern wristwatch, and in case of breakage, may require significant repair costs. However, specific aesthetics, and the loud ticking more than make up for any inconvenience.
As for the women's pocket watches, to wear them on the wrist in my opinion does not make sense, since the movements in women watches are usually much simpler than in the men ones. If the main reason for wearing the pocket watch on the wrist is an interesting movement, the compromise with the size will not work.

Among my other watches with pocket movement I have a B-Uhr Laco 55MM with 22MM balance with very thin pins. And with this watch no problems when worn on the wrist does not occur. It runs within 4 seconds per day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.