Pocket watches...English/German....???

Thread: Pocket watches...English/German....???

Pocket watches...English/German....???

Hi all

Fist I have to say, thanks for a great forum!

And, have more questions to ask.

I was justed informed that a English pocket watch, with a English movement, did not make the best movement´s, when it do come to repair, and so one.

But, how is a German watch, with a German movement? From the 1850´s and up to 1940´s?

What I seek in a European pocket watch, but not a swiss one..why? Well, I do know that the English and Germans did make some very nice watches/movement´s, and I like to have one from them.

That bring´s up a new questions to: Why did the englsih movement, like the fusee, come to a end? Was it to expensive to make? Not working good in the long run? Why did swiss movement´s "take" the world?

Luck? Better?

Thanks for looking

Cheers
    Vegard_dino

Re: Pocket watches...English/German....???

The Swiss did not take the pocket watch world. They were one of two countries that dominated from 1870 to 1950. In fact the Americans made better pocket watches than the Swiss for much of this time.
    The Germans made some fine watches, especially the Glashutte school of watchmaking, but the Americans and Swiss were the undisputed leaders in pocket watch manufacturing after 1870.
    The fusee was phased out because it was trickier to repair and ultimately not necessary for accuracy. English watchmakers never accepted the concept of factory based manufacturing until it was too late and they could no longer compete with cheaper watches of often better quality.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    English watchmakers never accepted the concept of factory based manufacturing until it was too late and they could no longer compete with cheaper watches of often better quality.
    Is it not strange that a country that invented Industrialism did that?
    Reminds me of the British Motorcycle and Car industries too!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi and thanks for replying.

Good information, to a newbi in the world of vintage watches.
    Know a bitt more now what to look for and to stay away from, when it comes to finding a good pocket watch, that also CAN be repaired.

Cheers
    Vegard_dino

The British had a long history of local watch makers guilds and they were extremely conservative in watch movement design and innovation. They were left behind by a step change in industrial mass production and automation.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks Ray

I understand, what you mean. They did not move one, as the rest did....To bad.

Cheers
    Vegard_dino

Thread Information