Pocketwatch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Maddan

Thread: Pocketwatch

Pocketwatch

I'm finally able to post photos. Can anyone help me identify this watch?
    Attached Images Attached Images

And another
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Pocketwatch

I know a bit about these types of watches, having inherited one and restored it, though I'm hoping that someone who knows more will come along and fill us in with more detailed knowledge.

Just searching for "Jno JONES, 338 Strand, London" turns up a couple of results, most illustratively for another watch of his, presumably quite similar:

Nicely detailed silver crystal (flat glass) case hallmarked London 1868, casemaker AT (Alford Thickbroom, Clerkenwell). Capped fullplate fusee movement engraved for Jones. Single-roller detached lever escapement. Steel balance, spiral balance-spring. Perfect one-piece enamel dial signed for both Jones and its Indian retailer. 50 mm diameter.

John Jones (1815-1909), 338 Strand, London, a most influential if now little known watchmaker who played an important part in the founding of the British Horological Institute in 1858. His 1870's stationery shows him as maker to HM the Queen, the Emperor of Russia, the Khedive of Russia and the Indian Government, as well as the East Indian, the Great Indian Peninsular and Other Railways. See also the important article on him by Alan Shenton in
    Clocks , August 1979."

https://www.antiquewatchstore.com/ho...ch-maker-.html (site currently offline, had to go to Google cache to retrieve above)

It appears that the case on your example is gold, with maker's mark CBH, which another search shows is probably C. B. Holliday:

1865 C.B. Holliday CBH 18K English Fusee Pocket Watch
    https://empress.cc/collections/pocke...e-pocket-watch

Note that the price is about $1,500 for a watch with a much fancier engraved gilt face.

A check of the hallmarks, if you can read them with certainty, would date the case - it appears to be a lower-case "b" which would indicate 1857 according to my references.
    I'm more interested in the styling of my watches, than the quantity:
    Everyday
    : Contemporary Omega De Ville Prestige Co-Axial Power Reserve 39.5 mm, steel on black leather strap, blue dial with Roman numerals, sub seconds and reserve, 424.13.40.21.03.001 cal. 2627 (2500D) - great timekeeper, but about to go to the OB for a rotor grinding noise 2.5 years out
    Dress: c. 1989 EBEL 1911 cal. 93 35mm automatic 14K and steel on bracelet, slate gray dial with Roman numerals, sweep seconds; early 20th century Hamilton cal. 987s in colored gold cases on leather and reptile bands, sub seconds
    Legacy: 1920 IWC early sav. cal. 82 in original 33mm Cresarrow 14k octagonal case on tan leather strap; 1943 Omega cal. 30T2PC Ref. MI 2317 35mm steel on black leather strap, sub seconds; various inherited and collected vintage wrist and pocket watches
    Current project watch: early EBEL Sport Classic Carree wave tank watch cal. 91 quartz 24x30mm (ref. 181902)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Pocketwatch

Lradancer75...Hello. A quick note: a good watchmaker will be able to straighten your hour hand. On an old watch like this, the process CAN be a bit nerve-wracking, but doable. Michael.
    JPCass likes this.

Thank you for the info.

Thread Information