Pocketwatch case collecting
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By artb
  • 1 Post By river rat

Thread: Pocketwatch case collecting

Off Topic post Pocketwatch case collecting

I notice practically no specific interest in p.w. cases. Certainly some interest with bargain gold cases at or below scrap values are an active interest of which I am guilty. However, I will buy a watch only because it has an interesting case. Not valuable, but novel. I have often bought fine gold cases ignoring the movement qualities when priced reasonably which does not seem to be a normal watch collector inclination. At any rate some nongold cases not expensive that I value enough to buy as a collectible: Even the fancy multicolor gold is gold fill. Gun metal. Sea shell. Silver with black Niello.Name:  IMG_1225a.jpg
Views: 3025
Size:  303.3 KBName:  documents 638a.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  218.8 KBName:  IMG_9644acopy.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  344.7 KBName:  IMG_8261a.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  732.1 KBName:  P1000011acopy.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  839.9 KBName:  IMG_9107acopy.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  123.3 KB
    Tick Talk likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Pocketwatch case collecting

Since pocket watches for the most part only offer the horological basics (three hands, no date, no automatic winding, let alone more complicated mechanisms), the cases are a definite thing to focus on. And some of them are really beautiful! I would do more PW collecting on the basis of case construction if I had the cash.....

The Ingraham is not really my style. The rest, I would easily go for.

Hartmut Richter

I don't know about that some times the movement a piece of art.What I hate is when I sell pocket watches at NAWCC show I will have a gold colored case and a A-hole will come up and ask if it's gold so they can melt the case down for the gold content I tell them it's not for sell and all most go off on them it's people like that that destroy so many beautiful watch case with no thought of what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Since pocket watches for the most part only offer the horological basics (three hands, no date, no automatic winding, let alone more complicated mechanisms), the cases are a definite thing to focus on. And some of them are really beautiful! I would do more PW collecting on the basis of case construction if I had the cash.....

The Ingraham is not really my style. The rest, I would easily go for.

Hartmut Richter
    Dhart likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  P1000975a.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  339.7 KBFine Howard. Probably most impressive of all old Americans in their usually finest quality original gold cases.

This representing usual strong collector demand type thus high collector value. Swiss example here a near scrap value buy for its fine case, not its good quality but ordinary movement. Thus a case buy.
    Last edited by artb; April 3rd, 2012 at 14:32.

Thread Information