Is this pocketwatch gold or gold filled? Any other info appreciated also.
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is this pocketwatch gold or gold filled? Any other info appreciated also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this pocketwatch gold or gold filled? Any other info appreciated also.

I purchased this watched about a month ago, and have not been able to find out much info on it. I am not even sure if the case is original to the watch. The name on the watch face is Borel and Courvoisier. There is damage to the watch face and it looks like the faceplate has been removed before.

The only markings I can find on the case are a lion hallmark with "Warranted" underneath and serial numbers. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks a lot.

Re: Is this pocketwatch gold or gold filled? Any other info appreciated also.

Try a magnet test. Gold isn't magnetic, but brass- and other filler metals are.
    threeonetwo

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 312 View Post
    Try a magnet test. Gold isn't magnetic, but brass- and other filler metals are.
    Brass isn't ferromagnetic either. The only commonly encountered ferromagnetic metals are iron, nickel, and cobalt. It's very unusual to find any pocket watch case that is attracted to a magnet, as even "nickel" cases contain a small enough amount of nickel(around 20%) that they won't show any appreciable attraction.

That aside, the case most assuredly is not gold. I have owned multiple cases with that exact mark-I can attest to it being a filled mark.
    Last edited by Ben_hutcherson; May 22nd, 2012 at 06:31.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree with Ben. "Warranted" in my experience, generally means gold-filling. If it was SOLID GOLD, it would have some sort of purity hallmark. .585 (14kt), .5 (12kt), .750 (18kt), .85 (I think that's 22kt. I don't think watches went up that high).
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

I'd agree that it's gold-filled. Borel & Courvoisier are swiss, they were founded in 1859 by Jules borel. for some of their higher grade movements they used Girard-Perregaux.

This case isnt gold filled its 14k solid gold

Most cases that have the lion and warranted are for private label watches that was made for English buyers and its not gold filled,B.W.c.co also made lion cases that are 14k solid gold as well,just cause u don't see assay 14k doesnt mean its gold filled cause ive had many that didn't say the assay and they were in fact solid gold

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raydavid View Post
    Most cases that have the lion and warranted are for private label watches that was made for English buyers and its not gold filled,B.W.c.co also made lion cases that are 14k solid gold as well,just cause u don't see assay 14k doesnt mean its gold filled cause ive had many that didn't say the assay and they were in fact solid gold
    If the case was sold in the English market as solid gold, it would have carried gold hallmarks.

Let's face this realistically-if you had made a gold case, would you not mark it as what it actually is and not hide behind ambigious markings?

My opinion of 6 years ago has not changed.
    bamadadof3 and tinknocker like this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Your opinion of 6 years can't get pass the results of electronically testing a case,i have the same exact marking on a case and had them put it in the machine and it tested as 14k solid gold,u clearly do not know the full history of gold markings on pocket watches cause clearly they have lions,eagles,horse head and dogs for markings as solid gold,just cause it marked as solid gold doesnt mean that it isn't and just cause its marked 14k makes it real,testing proves everything.......thank u

Quote Originally Posted by Raydavid View Post
    Your opinion of 6 years can't get pass the results of electronically testing a case,i have the same exact marking on a case and had them put it in the machine and it tested as 14k solid gold,u clearly do not know the full history of gold markings on pocket watches cause clearly they have lions,eagles,horse head and dogs for markings as solid gold,just cause it marked as solid gold doesnt mean that it isn't and just cause its marked 14k makes it real,testing proves everything.......thank u
    What kind of a “machine” did they test it with? I’ve collected for decades and have never seen a case marked “warranted “ that wasn’t gold plated. The warranty was for brassing or wear through to the base medal. I’ve only once seen a solid gold case that wasn’t marked as such. It was a very rare one off case made for royalty if memory serves me. I agree some english and European countries used markings of animals to specify some metal content this marking as large as it is would most likely denote the case maker not content.
    I open to learning but but this theory of yours about warrantied solid gold cases is a first for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information