pocketwatch movement help please

Thread: pocketwatch movement help please

pocketwatch movement help please

hello there all,

I am undergoing a project to put a beautiful pocketwatch movement into a wristwatch case- i have run into a problem. i know pocketwatches have sizes like 12s, 14s, 16s- but when i check some "conversion" sites for these sizes into millimeters, i keep getting difference numbers. Now, the watch is 47mm and the internal size for the movement is 39.6mm. what size would this be in pocketwatch terms- or atleast close to it!?!?!?!

thanks for all your help guys!

Re: pocketwatch movement help please

Is this an antique pocket watch movement? If it is, I wouldn't bother putting it into a wristwatch case. Wristwatches can get a lot of bumping, banging and bashing around...something that a pocket-watch movement was not designed to put up with. You could end up damaging it.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

well, to be honest, i havent even purchased a movement yet- simply because i have NO idea which ones will fit (my dilema sadly)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

Shangas is absolutely right: putting a vintage pocket watch movement into a wristwatch case is simply asking for problems, rather expensive ones at that: pocket watches have no shock-proofing, and were maintenance-intensive as a result. Replacing cracked jewels and broken staffs were the major non-maintenance repairs done by watchmakers back then, as can be gleaned from the early watch-making and repair literature.

If you really want to do this, be advised to purchase not one, but perhaps 3-4 movements in good shape of the movement you want to use: you'll be able to use those for the broken staffs and the like...

For a while, I also contemplated this, as I found a Hamilton 922B movement that was no longer in a case (but with a decent dial). I talked with my watchmaker about how best to do this, and his immediate response was not to, since even moderate bumps and knocking-about that an average-day wrist watch goes through is very hard on such a movement, which, after all, was designed to be carried close to the body and not waved around on an arm. I've got three pocket watches with broken staffs waiting for me to work on them.

It's a shame, because some of the most beautiful movements are pocket watch movements. Who wouldn't love to have something like this inside of a largish wrist watch with a display back?

Or this?

It's tempting, but it just really isn't practical...unfortunately!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thread Information