Pocketwatch: "The T.M. Roberts"

Thread: Pocketwatch: "The T.M. Roberts"

Pocketwatch: "The T.M. Roberts"

I have a pocket watch from my great grandfather. I took it to my local jeweler to see if he knew anything about it. He looked in a few books, but didn't have much to offer.

So I thought I would take it to WUS and see what you all know about it.

Inscriptions:
    Front: The T.M. Roberts
    Inside Back Case: 6812042 (stamped sn); FAHYS ORESILVER NO1 (circular text around pat date); PAT FEB 19TM 1884
    Movement: 1341757 (sn); 17 Jewels; Safety Pinion; The T.M. Roberts Special Minneapolis.

My local jeweler stated that the case is not the original case for the movement since the stem is at the 3 position.

Thanks for your help.

"Whoever drinks beer, he is quick to sleep; whoever sleeps long, does not sin; whoever does not sin, enters Heaven! Thus, let us drink beer!" - Luther

Re: Pocketwatch: "The T.M. Roberts"

The T M Roberts Supply House was a Co-Opertive that went into recievership in 1901 I can't find any information beyond that. It is safe to say that it's a private label some of the PW experts should be able to identify the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    The T M Roberts Supply House was a Co-Opertive that went into recievership in 1901 I can't find any information beyond that.
    Good work!

Here's an advert of theirs.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4355,3746713
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The movement is an Illinois 18s grade 64 model 5 produced in 1896. Illinois was a major supplier of movements to private label companies.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Thanks for all your input. So it seems that the T.M. Roberts had these watches made with the store's name on the front and on the movement.

Does anyone know if the case would have been originally paired with the movement, or was it something that was added later?

Thanks again.
    "Whoever drinks beer, he is quick to sleep; whoever sleeps long, does not sin; whoever does not sin, enters Heaven! Thus, let us drink beer!" - Luther

Hi Horton,

Pocket-watch cases were sold separately from movements in the 1890s. You selected the movement, then you selected the case and then the jeweller put the one inside the other for you. Your watch sounds like a hunter-case watch that was placed inside an open-face case.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

As Shangas points out, cases and movements tended to be sold seperately. A lot of "cheaper" cases were made of thin rolled-gold plate, which tended to wear off after a decade or so (or less if you went with the really cheap cases). A lot of first-time watch buyers would buy a high quality movment and a cheap case, with the deliberate intention of getting a better quality case later, when they could afford it.

One of the problems this presented is that as time went on, Hunter style watches became less and less common, which meant that finding replacement Hunter style cases became harder and harder (which usually means more and more expensive). As well, Hunter cases were more apt to "break" (in terms of things like the case spring, hinges etc), especially on a case that was cheap to begin with.

In other words, it wouldn't have been that unusual to see people recasing their hunter movement in a Open Face case after the original wore out. Your case does look original to the movement (in that I don't see any screw marks suggesting that it used to house another movement).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information