pocketwatches

Thread: pocketwatches

pocketwatches

my correction , POCKET WATCHES....a couple of dollar watches and a clebar that I picked up over the summer..all work....all were a good find for me, as I did not have these particular dollar watches and I like the Clebar,because one of my first 'vintage 'watches I collected was a CLEBAR....a cracked crystal on the WESTCLOX...oh well
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by hctaw; September 13th, 2010 at 02:26.

Re: pocketwatches

Considering that these dollar watches were made in 10X the quantity of 'highly jeweled' Elgins, Walthams, et.al. we rarely see them. Great history!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

We probably don't see them because they were "disposable" technology, meant to use for a couple of years and then tossed as they were basically not repairable when their pin lever escapement gave up the ghost.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

:thanks for the comments.....I agree Ron, re 'disposable',however,I will always aquire them when possible(these were $5/piece,Clebar=$30)....I was really happy to get the 'midget'.....EEEB.I recall your aquisition awhile back,with the warranty card intact.....I am still hoping to get one!!!!

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Nice catches I particularly like the Canadian Dax luminous. Really old-school working man's watch. Might want to run it past a geiger counter though, considering the cracked crystal. Dollar watches are an important part of watchmaking history.

The Clebar is interesting. On this forum we occasionally see these elaborate 1970s/80s hunter pocket watches with wristwatch movement, but typically they're from Hong Kong with Swiss movement, or later with USSR or PRC movt. This Swiss made example shows how widespread this style was. From the 1990s onwards such watches more commonly had quartz movements.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Thread Information